Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have COPD and Costocondrosis, which could be Tietze's syndrome

I have COPD and Costocondrosis, which could be Tietze’s syndrome as there the two ribs under my breasts appear raised quite a bit, i wanted to ask if the ribs can actually touch and restrict the lungs at all because my i am very breathless despite an oxygen reading of 98 on my monitor pulse is very high at 95 at rest, i know this seems an odd question but i cant get any answeres on my copd site or elsewhere thanks souxie58
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Yes they can. Due to the inflammation, the rib cartilages and muscles attached to the ribs do not expand well and hence you do not get enough air although oxygen saturation can be good suggesting no problem with blood air exchange in the alveoli. You will likely improve from anti inflammatory therapy. Oral prednisone or steroid injection at the inflamed ribs should be beneficial. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/