Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

The night before last my rectum went into severe spasms, which

Customer Question

The night before last my rectum went into severe spasms, which radiated around to the pelvic area. Having had bowel cancer, which I had a right hemicolectomy for and 6 months ago I had a high anterior resection of the bowel, I tend to be aware of things happening. I called the Dr out and there was protein in my urine and I had a temperature. I am now on co amoxiclav. more interesting has been today when each time I have opened my bowels all that has come out is clear mucus. Just wondered if you could shed some light on the reason why?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Coamoxiclav can cause this as side effect commonly. Clear mucus is not concerning since no blood in the stool. Even bladder infection can cause inflammation of the rectum and hence the spasms. Will likely subside after completion of antibiotic course. Sitz bath or warm water bath may help to relax the rectal muscles. Topical nitroglycerine ointment also can be used rectally to relieve the symptoms. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/