Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

There . I was just wanting some knowledge and

Customer Question

Hi There .
I was just wanting some knowledge and information on inflammation and cancer .
Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anybody available to speak with me please .
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
sure, what would you like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for your reply . I am concerned as I spoke to a previous oncologist on here who said that there is a theoretical risk that chronic inflammation can cause cancer . I asked this question as I am unsure as to whether my 6 month old baby has swallowed a plastic tag off of one of her toys ( I think I ran this past you the other day actually ) .
I am worried now that if it has got stuck somewhere in her body and caused this inflammation but it's not enough to cause symptoms , it could stay in her body and trigger cancer in he future.
I wonder if you have any information on this for me please as it is really worrying me .
Many thanks in advance for your time .
Claire.
I have helped you before but I never received a rating.I'm sure this can' cause cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did rate as you were on the se link as the other oncologist and I gave 5 stars ?
Sorry do you mean can or can't cause cancer ?
No, I never received that.The other expert didIt cannot cause cancer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shall I do 5 stars now then ? Are you able to give me any further explanation ? It's just I don't understand why some types of chronic inflammation can trigger cancer and others don't . And what the oncologist meant by " theoretical risk "that's what really scared me ,
Yes I can. would you mind accepting additional services?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was really trying not to have to spend anymore due to already paying quite a bit to speak with another oncologist who recommended I asked a new question so I had to pay again already for this ?
Yes, you did but I never received payment for my other help.It's okay.There is no scientific evidence that a foreign object causes cancer.it just doesn't occur
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that even if it is retained and causes this chronic inflammation though ?
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What did the other oncologist mean by theoretical risk then I wonder ,
I have no clue but he is wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that's the assuring to hear. As our conversation continued he/she advised me to do a new question to gather more information on inflammation and cancer . He/she sent me thins link , do you think I should be concerned about this developing field and my scenario ?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12490959
No, I don't.Because this is a different type of inflammation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see thank you .
If my child had chronic inflammation from this would there always be symptoms ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Phil .
Dr Ravoof just sent me this artical ? I'm struggling to understand it fully would you take a look for me ? Does this mean a foreign body is proven to cause cancer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.23125/pdf
please accept additional services
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I accepted the additional services .
thank you. What is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my message above . I will send again . I'm in a bit of a panic following this from Dr Ravoof ...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Phil .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In just so concerned that if my child did possibly swallow the tag I was concerned about it may possibly get stuck in her body and be retained and may cause cancer in years to come . That is my big concern .
I have dozens of patients with foreign bodies and none have cancer.
I find this whole discussion to be incorrect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if this tag did (although it's unlikely ) get stuck somewhere within her body and didn't cause symptoms therefore would be there indefinitely . Would that not trigger cancer.
Nope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you explain to me why it would not ? I mean I'm so relieved to know it wouldn't but I'm just trying to understand all this as best I can . That article has really thrown me .
because the human body doesn't work this way The body just walls off foreign substances They don't cause cancer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . So if it walled it off but it caused this chronic inflammation without symptoms is that a cancer risk ?
nope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just don't know why Dr Ravoof maintains this then . This is what rally worries me he says if there's any chronic inflammation in the body that is left there is a risk for cancer . I don't know what to think ? Can you shed any light on this for me please or explain it to me ? I'm sorry for so many questions I have just been so worried about this incident , I was physically sick this morning when Dr Ravoof sent me the article
I think it is absolutely ridiculous for him to say that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You really feel that strongly about it ?
absolutely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . Do you think it would be likely that this object has passed through for my baby ? She's only drinking milk at present and just starting solids so would that be enough to help it all push through?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you remember the pictures of the tags I sent you ? They are quite sharp at the edges and not easy to bend.
Yes I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry yes you remember them or yes you think they will likely pass
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And may I ask what you thought if the article ? Does it link in with my concern at all ?
Yes, I remember. The sharpness is irrelevantI don't think it does. The article is talking most about particulate carcinogens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
May I ask what particulate means ?
I'm sorry if I'm being persistent with my questions it's just ive had a further conversation with Dr Ravoof and he/she maintains that there is a thearetical risk for cancer with foreign bodies .in regards ***** ***** causing chronic inflammation which can then cause cancerous cells . I feel so worried about this in my case with my daughter .
particulate is like small particles like dust or chemicals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . Regarding the above would I always know if my child has this inflammation ?
I don't understand the question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I mean to say if this object did get stuck and caused chronic inflammation, do you always know about this or can it be mild and underlying ? .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Phil .
Did you see my last question.
Many thanks .
Claire .
please open a new question and request me