Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

How accurate is a HIV1 / HIV 2 qualitative pcr early detection

how accurate is a HIV1 / HIV 2 qualitative pcr early detection test after 21 days?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is my results
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. The HIV PCR test is very accurate at 21 days at detecting HIV infections. The greater problem with the HIV PCR tests is that there are a fair amount of false positive results, which means that people that are not infected will be labeled as positive. The rate of false positives is about 1%, but depending upon the population being tested, it would still mean that most of the positive results will be false positive. The primary reason that the HIV PCR test is not routinely recommended for diagnosis is because of the rate of false positive results, although costs is another reason. In your case, though, since you know that your results are negative, there is no concern about the rate of false positive results. In your case, a negative result is an excellent indication that you do not have HIV. At 21 days after exposure, there is a very small risk that someone may be a long term non-progressor, which means that there is little or no virus growth and can be missed by an HIV PCR test, but this is very rare. So, the negative result in your case is very accurate, and the only source of inaccuracy would be the rare cases of being a long term non-progressor. If I have answered all your questions, please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).However, if I can provide any further information or clarification, please let me know.Please bookmark my profile for asking future questions.This is a link to my profile:www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so should i get tested again? or would this test be enough to say that i have no worries?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this money only good for one question?
The payment includes follow-up questions related to the original question. The only reason to consider being tested again would be for the rare chance of being a long term non-progressor. Many doctors would say to get an antibody test at 3 months, since it is the gold standard test to exclude all possible. However, another route is to consider regular annual testing, which is recommended in the US and considered for certain populations in the UK. In the US, it is recommended that every adult should be tested regularly for HIV, and annual testing is appropriate for most people (although people with riskier recurrent sexual encounters may warrant more frequent testing). In the setting of someone getting regular annual testing, there would be no need to perform a test at three months, but instead it would be sufficient to allow the next regular annual testing be used to be the gold standard test
If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Once all of your questions have been addressed, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.