How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 56550
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

Why do I keep lashing out at the people I love. I just lose

Customer Question

Why do I keep lashing out at the people I love. I just lose control and say things I don't mean and hurt people close to me. I am so tearful today and scared to be around people in case I say the wrong thing and drive them away.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.The mix of antidepressants may not be right for you.The mood swings and short temper can be side effects from the medications.A mood stabilizer like valproate should be considered to mellow down your mood. Lithium is another good option. These changes are temporary worsened by menopause as well. Aso I will suggest you to lower estrogen dose in HRT which also may help. Please discuss with your consultant about these changes. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloPlease list your medications.I would like to mention some points on specific medications and treatment of depression.Lithium is probably not indicated at all. It is a potentially dangerous drug [thyroid and kidney side effects are prominent over time] requiring monitoring and only for specific diagnoses such as bi polar.If you are on a mix of medications, a mood stabilizer might not be indicated at all, and can cause problems. In fact, the medications might need to be changed and streamline.If you are on an SSRI, sometimes an SNRI is better. Some people even require older medication choices.Physical problems such as hyperthyroid can cause this.Hrt can cause this as well. Hormonal status needs to be strictly monitored and correctly interpreted, inclusing, thyroid studies, sex hormone panel, SHBG and testosterone levels, adrenal function panel and am cortisol. Even an endocrinologist should be involved in some cases.You are not getting psychotherapy,or at least you have not mentioned it. This would be done to help you, and teach you emotional processing, by a PhD clinical psychologist. Your GP can give you a referral. This is often more important than medications for what you describe.I am a double board certified clinical doctor, different expert with a different answer for you.Find me for all clinically up to date answers.Please rate a positive rating for Dr. Thomas. This is how we are paid. The rating scale is at the top of my answer page.Please give me more information.dt
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiI have enabled the rating system so that you can rate.I think I forgot to do this.AlsoSee this hypothesis about anger with depression. you like, please let me know what your exact diagnoses are . Please click a positive for DR. Thomas.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
I would like to provide another opinionYou didn't say what meds you are on?I bet I can help you with the medications Tell me exactly what you take