Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had a proximal dvt 3 months ago and was on rivaroxaban up

I had a proximal dvt 3 months ago and was on rivaroxaban up to just over a week ago when I stopped taking it at my own initiative (mistake I know!), After about five days I experienced tightness in my foot and tingling. I went to a different hospital where my d dimmer was 1100. I did not tell them about my prior diagnosis and treatment. The ultrasound showed a dvt in the same place as before(femoral and popliteal veins) but smaller and not occluded. Could this be residual of the original dvt? The thing is they treated me as if I was a new dvt and gave me 15mg of rivaroxaban twice daily. I still have not told the new hospital or the old one. Should I be on 15 mg twice daily or just back on the 20mg I was on before?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,Yes the dvt might be the old one which showed up on ultrasound. I would suggest you should take the drug 15 mg twice daily as it is initial treatment for 21 days then you switch to 20 mg once daily regime. It would be best if you discuss all this with your doctor so that he knows that you had this before.Please do leave a positive rating.Best wishes.