Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My 71 year old husband formally a criminal barrister in the

Customer Question

My 71 year old husband formally a criminal barrister in the UK had cognitive tests done in January 2015 he scored 121%. His MRI was with within normal limits. He was retested in October 2015 and his cognitive tests had dropped to 102%. His MRI and PET scan for glucose uptake were both within normal limits. However, his Consultant suggested to me and not my husband the patient ,that it may be frontal lobe degeneration ie Pick's Disease.
I am afraid that the information I supplied has lead to this diagnosis.
Do neurologists take cognitive tests in the UK primarily for diagnosis or scans ?? even if the scan are NAD or within normal limits
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionThe cognitive tests are just one piece of the puzzleThe consultant would factor in the tests, imaging and the history and physical exameSo the tests are just one small piece.Maybe he is suggesting this based on history and the results of the imaging.What is the history?
Please let me know if you need more help on this question.
If you are satisfied, then please click a positive rating.
If you have more questions, just reply :)