Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Last 14 months I have been suffering from insomnia,

Customer Question

Hi, for the last 14 months I have been suffering from insomnia, exhaustion and muscle weakness - it seems to be mostly in my legs, upper thighs and stomach but I feel it elsewhere a lot too. When I'm in the shower, or in any other upright position if I don't keep moving I feel like my legs are going to go from under me, they shake so much with weakness.
I've had M.E since 1998 (I'm 48) and then was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and retrolisthesis and a congenital fused disc thing in my lumbar spine around 2008 and have used a walking stick since 2009 because I end up bent over completely without it!
I've been assuming that I am going through an M.E flare-up but I don't think I felt as bad as this right back at my M.E diagnosis! I've heard of the "25%" M.E people who are almost completely bedridden and debilitated and this is what I've been like for months - I'm really worried I might never start to feel better. Also, I don't know if it's related but I haven't slept properly for over a year, I can't sleep until nearly 5 or 6am no matter how much sleep I got the night before. My body clock just won't right itself!
I'm not sure if it has any bearing but I should add that I'm in the process of being assessed for ASD or Aspergers and should get my final decision sometime this month. I decided to seek a diagnosis at 46 because it was becoming harder and harder to keep myself in check. Apparently women are underdiagnosed because they are so good at disguising their symptoms in social situations. I tend to force myself to make eye contact with whoever is talking to me so much that it was physically painful in my stomach and mind!
Sorry for the long post but I'm so tired of feeling like this and the prospect of never feeling any better fills me with despair - life's already been hard enough I often feel like giving up!
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
Have you had any tests done for this?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No tests yet as I hate visiting the Doctor and I have also been assuming it is an m.e flare up but it's gone on for four months now with no let up
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I think that you must be seen and be tested.Routine blood tests like complete blood count to have a look at your hemoglobin is important.Also, I would like that you should have your kidney and liver function checked.Thyroid hormone test is also important as low thyroid hormones can lead to the symptoms that you are having as well.So I would definitely like that you be seen ad be evaluated further to rule out all these causes.Let me know if you have more questions.Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.Kindest regards