Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am having pain in my legs at the back from just under the

I am having pain in my legs at the back from just under the buttocks. It hurts when I bend down or lift my legs up to climb the stairs.
I am 63 mainly inactive - I walk daily with the dog but only for about 30 minutes. In the main other than housework I sit. Spend most of my time before the TV or on the iPad.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There are several possible causes of pain in the back of the legs that start just under the buttocks. It can be referred from degenerative changes in the lower spine. It can be due to a type of bursitis that overlies the portion of the pelvic bone that is the point that bears the greatest amount of weight while sitting. It also could be due to a chronic muscle strain. Although it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause, another option would be to try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as naproxen. However, anti-inflammatory medicines may cause side effects, such as stomach irritation or heart problems, so we usually try to use the least amount of an anti-inflammatory medicine that can control symptoms. It also would be OK to take paracetamol for relief of pain, but the paracetamol does not have any action to relieve inflammation. Moist heat to the area of pain may also help to ease inflammation. Is there any other information that would be helpful?
I have not heard back whether any additional information would be helpful, so will close out the question. However, if I can provide any additional assistance, please let me know.