Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

There, I have a concern about my 3 and half year old

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have a concern about my 3 and half year old son.
Over the last few days he has been constantly checking and looking at his hand/s! Its very odd! Every few seconds or every few minutes he will check the front or/and back of his hands and then just get on with what he was doing. I asked him what was wrong with his hands and he became a bit embarrassed and said "nothing" but he did once say " to see if they are dirty" but I wasn't sure if he just said that for something to say!
Other than this, there is no other strange behaviour. His language is great, loves socialising, he has no behavioural issues or communication issues and is very happy and fun loving. He has not displayed any other types of unusual or concerning behaviour apart from the hand checking.
Is there anything I should or shouldn't be doing? Could this be an early warning sign of something more concerning? Any advice would be brilliant.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,Yes you are right in picking this behavior early, it seems like obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) in early stage, which most commonly presents in children like this that is fear of germs or dirt. Think of OCD as an "overactive alarm system." The rise in anxiety or worry is so strong that a child feels like he or she perform the task or dwell on the thought, over and over again, to the point where it interferes with everyday life. I would suggest you should seek help from psychiatrist for confirmation of diagnosis and behavioral therapy so that it can be treated timely.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish your child good health.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
I would like to provide another opinion.Let's not get too nervous here.Kids (I have two myself) do very odd things at timesIf his behavior is otherwise normal, then nothing needs to be done at this time.Simply watch him and reinforce to him that a little dirt is fine.He might be picking up behavior from people around him. So if you guys are obsessing about dirt, he might be too.Try to cut back on that and reassure himHe is fine right now