DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am from the UK, I went to see my doctor today to follow

Customer Question

Hi I am from the UK,
I went to see my doctor today to follow up a blood test result, the doctor said to me that I may have a viral infection because my white blood cell counts were very high fighting off an infection.
He also said to me that my blood has an irregular shape to it, he never confirmed what this could be. Though he asked me to go into my local hospital and have a never blood test for Haemoglobinopathy screen.
I have researched this and I may have sickle cell anaemia, my question is because my test showed irregular-shaped blood cell could there be anything else that makes my blood irregular shaped?
I also have a low vitamin D and I am now on capsules for 3 days for that.
Also, because I may have an infection and no symptoms the doctor also has asked me to be tested for HIV.
My main worries are Sickle cell disease anaemia and the whole irregular-shaped blood cell thing, can HIV or low Vitamin D make the blood cells irregular?
or does sickle cell only do this? I basically want to know if there are any other sought of medical issues that may cause irregular-shaped blood cells.
I am 25 years old Male, of Middle eastern Arabic descent from both parents Born in the UK
thank you to all in advance who answer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIt depends on which white cellLymphocytes are more typically elevated in viral infectionAlthough total white count can be slightly elevated.If the white cell is very high, this would often mean a more serious bacterial infection.HOwever, if you have no symptoms of this, then something else is going on.It does not sound like you got a great explanation from your doctor.Ask your doctorwhich white cellwhat other abnormalityhow about bands...indicating serious infection.exactly how high is the cell count.what other tests are needed. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry can you please answer my question with regards ***** ***** sickle cell, and irregular shaped blood cells.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you could click view all, you will see my lengthy paragraph detailing my question.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Sickle cell would have nothing to do with an elevated white count.It would be a red cell irregularity.That would be distinctive and not missed.If the finding were sickiling, you would have had it at a much earlier age. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but my doctor said to me that my blood test results came back showing that my Blood cells Have an Irregular Shape to it. and now i need to have a Haemoglobinopathy screen.Why is my blood cells irregularly shaped then?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
An irregular shape of what type of cell.A sickle cell is distinctive.That would not be missed, and you would not develop it at age 25. There are many other types of irregular shaped red cells. Some are simply from anemia of any cause.Even iron deficiency.Some red cell irregularities are artifact from not preparing the smear properly.Here is a list of all of the types of red blood cell irregularities. http://www.labtestsonline.org.au/learning/test-index/blood-film/blood-film-rbc-irregularities You will need to find out from your doctor exactly which irregularity. please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Have not heard back from you.
Let me know if you have further questions.
Please do not forget a positive..that is how we are paid, per rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As much as I have researched sickle cell is gene mutation, and if my parents have the trait which carries it, this could increase my chances as a baby to having sickle cell disease anaemia. However if 1 of my of parents has the trait or even the disease itself, and my other parent has normal blood cells, then I could be just a carrier but would not suffer from it.I assume you cannot develop sickle cell disease.Dr you said that it would it would not be missed in a blood test. Then why am I having another blood test called: Haemoglobinopathy screenWhat blood test did I have before, like you said it should not be missed, therefore, why is my doctor suggesting to take another sort of test which indicates a probability that I may have it. Especially if the initial blood test didn't show it.Please forgive me for my questioning, I generally am asking to learn and outweigh the possiblities, I know nothing about this so please do not think I am doubting you or anything, I am generally asking you.Apologies in advance the way it may come across im a critical thinker.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
The screen will show if you have trait, etc. Sickle cells would not be missed, as I said.No problem with critical thinking.You need, however, find out what details the doctor is talking about.And go from there.Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, my iron count was fine he said that to me today, However my protein blood level was high.i dont know what that indicates if you could tell me ?also what blood test would have to be done to indicate i have sickle cell ? i know you said i would of known, but why is my doctor telling me to do it again. Just doesnt make sense, your opinions and expertise is much appreciated, thank you again.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
A high protein level does not tell us anything. It is not specific.The peripheral smear which was already done, would show sickle cell if that were the active problem.I can not second guess , however, what your doctor is telling you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you, ***** ***** confirm it was red blood cell he did give me the count and numbers. but I forgot, I may ask you a few more questions tomorrow if that is ok, please. Tomorrow morning, I am going to a gum clinic to check For HIV, hepatitis and any other std.thank you so much
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.Please click a positive now.You can always come back to the post.We are only paid by just answer per positive rating. Not for time.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanksI am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you i have rated you positive :) i will ask you some questions tomorrow ok.Via this thread ok :) thank you .
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just remembered, my doctor said to me that i have immature white blood cells too. I am starting to worry now, because i have tried looking for causes for a rasied white blood cell count, however immature white blood cells always directs me to : Acute myeloid leukaemia.Is this any other sort medical issue that would could immature white blood cells ? or is Acute myeloid leukaemia the only common issue.please if you could let me know with any reference which you may have would be much appreciated.thank you