DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had a number of health scares over the years. In

I have had a number of health scares over the years. In 2006 i had chest ct for suspected pulmonary embolism. It was clear. I then coughed up streaks of blood 2009. Another chest ct clear. I continued to smoke and same thing happened 2012. Another ct scan was clear.
I smoked from 17 to 36 abt 20 per day. I stopped in 2009. And have been smoking on and off since then. From 2012, i stupidly socially smoked, maybe 5 at the weekends. I now feel i have chest symptoms again. I dont have a cough but i have been forcing a huff cough to check for blood. Every now n then i see the tiniest streak of blood. But my mucus is completely clear n not very much at all. Im now also convinced i have early clubbing in my right index finger as it feels a bit spongey. Certainly it depresses slightly easier than the other at the nail bed when i push down at the cuticle. I am once again completely paranoid again about lung cancer possibility. Im annoyed i ever smoked again after my clean bill 3 years ago. What do you think the liklihood is? Sorry for such a long post.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloI think the liklihood is very low.There is more risk from repeated chest CTs at this point.You need to quit smoking entirely, so that you do not get episodes of bronchitis.You should also have an exam now.All of that said, your risk is higher than a non smoker.That will not normalize for 10 years , with complete non smoking.Start now.also, make sure your throat and sinuses are examined.And consider acid reflux as well. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You said i should have an exam now. What type of exam do you mean?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Medical exam.
Your GP.
Head to toe.
Routine labs, if not done recently, lung exam, etc.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I certainly dont want anymore ct done. So im unsure of what tests you mean. Plus could it be early clubbing? It feels springier, I've read up on the sponginess but i dont know what that feels like. I still have the
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So before i go...you think not likely lung cancer...if so why? And can clubbing start on one finger by slight sprininess. I still have diamond shape when both fingers together.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe you have clubbing.
clubbing does not show up on one finger.
I do believe you have anxiety, just looking at your previous posts. That's OK but you should get that treated.
Regular medical exam, regular labs, if not done in the last year.
Lung exam, etc.
You should also completely stop self diagnosing.
And stop "reading up" on things you might have.
If you actually had clubbing, you would be very ill at this point.
You don't have it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry..what is a lung exam. I have gp appt on thurs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If its the blow test. I did one 6 months ago and it was spot on
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
The doctor listens to your lungs with a stethascope while you breath in and out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a final question: yes i am very anxious and angry that i never learn, but just so as i can get some sleep tonight.....you think lung cancer highly unlikely and what is that based on? Sorry. I just need to know. Many thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Highly unlikely
You have had CTs.
You only smoked 5 cigarettes a week.
You over think everything from what I can tell, so your symptoms, which are currently minimum, are probably quite exagerated, and certainly don't indicate cancer.
You have not stated that you have had any effective treatment for anxiety.
I would focus on that, and see your doctor.
I would certainly not worry about lung cancer based on what I can see here.
So you should not worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am on and off anti anxiety meds on.
I also am only GUESSTIMATING weekly cigarette intake but suffice to say i dont smoke full time. It could be 10 at weekends or something like that. I use nicorette lozengers most of the time. I smoke when i drink so that my have to go too.
I will speak to my doc on thurs re anxiety meds again. Im currently on apixaban for a dvt don't know if they are contraindicated.
Thank you for your wise words. I will try to put this out of my head.
So in conclusion: you think, as scan was clear 3 yrs ago, my liklihood is low or very low.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
A dvt can be connected to smoking.
Usually it is more commonly from overweight, or both.
I think with a clear CT 3 years ago, .....almost zero liklihood.
Good luck
Please click a positive rating.
Or: I am going to revise my additional services offer to cover cancer prevention and anxiety....accept that if you like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i reread your previous message. Between the ages of 17 to 36 i smoked 20 per day.
Its only over the last 3 years I've smoked about 5 to 10 a day. Does that change your thinking?
Sorry i wasnt clear. I dont want any misunderstanding.
Thankyou
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Id does not change my thinking at all.
Please click a positive.
See my add services offer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanks
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.