Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Here is the artical Doctor love . I can't make sense of it

Here is the artical Doctor love . I can't make sense of it but it says foreign bodies do cause cancer .
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.23125/pdf
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Let me read the article, and then we can discuss it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much I'm sorry I have contacted you again but I don't know what to make of it . Dr Ravoof stated this :This article has appeared in the International Journal of Cancer and is an authentic article proving that foreign bodies have been a source of cancer. This article highlights the various mechanisms by which this might happen.
The statement that Dr. Ravoof is accurate in how he has worded it, but does not change the situation with your daughter. First, this article is using a very inclusive definition of foreign bodies. They include cigarette smoke and asbestos as examples of foreign bodies that induce inflammation and fibrosis en route to causing cancer. And that is very accurate. However, they also note that risk will vary according to each type of foreign body. The article also recognizes that there are some categories of foreign bodies that are not associated with an increased risk of cancer. The article quotes the example of breast implantation surgery (which as an aside, is a large foreign body that frequently induces fibrosis and less often inflammation), and notes that there is not an increased incidence of breast cancer in women with breast augmentation surgery. Nor is breast implantation surgery that is done after surgery for breast cancer associated with any increased risk for recurrence of the breast cancer or any change in long term survival. So, this article recognizes that certain foreign bodies can cause cancer and others have been shown to not be associated with a cancer risk. The article then discussed the mechanisms of actions by which those foreign bodies that are associated with a cancer risk may do so. The article also discusses a number of studies that have been done on animals, primarily mice and rats, that have looked at some of the possible mechanisms of action for causing cancer, when cancer is associated with a foreign body. However, there is nothing in this article that changes the fact that there is no clinical evidence that a swallowed foreign object is associated with any risk of cancer. This is the information that I asked that you request of Dr. Ravoof, and which he agreed does not exist. So, Dr. Ravoof is correct that this article proves that foreign bodies have been a source of cancer, but it also indicates that foreign bodies are not always a source of cancer, and the article does not change that there is no clinical evidence of a cancer risk associated with swallowing a foreign body. Therefore, it does not change that there is no clinical evidence of a cancer risk for your daughter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . I had to pay £72 for this artical and I feel he knew he would scare me with it so I would pay it .
Do you think I can be sure that the type of foreign body my daughter may have possibly swallowed falls under the category where there is no risk for cancer ? Sorry the artical just mind boggles me .
I know that you can be sure that there is no clinical study that shows a risk of cancer from swallowing a foreign body or even case reports in which it is considered a possibility that cancer was related to a swallowed foreign body. This is also confirmed by Dr. Ravoof, who was unable to provide any articles that showed such evidence when you asked for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So hopefully it will come under the category that there is no risk is that fair to say ?
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just that Dr Ravoof keeps saying the risk is relevant to all foreign bodies .
That clearly is not true according to this article, since there is no increased risk of breast cancer following breast implantation, either done for augmentation in healthy breasts or after surgery for breast cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what he is meaning then but I suppose as you say the bot***** *****ne is there is no risk for cancer in my scenario . And I hope it will stay that way . You know doctor whe you say there are no case reports to show this type of scenario causes cancer ? Is that in the whole world ?
That is referring the medical literature.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't understand ?
It is referring to the professional medical journals.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok .Do you mean the professional evidence that shows there's no risk of cancer .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's only I was wondering as we are in England I didn't know if this information would be relevant world wide ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And also with there being no risk of cancer does that still apply in the unlikely event that this tag has been retained in her body somewhere .
The medical literature encompasses any country that follows professional medical research precepts. There are countries that do not follow our approach to medicine and research or do not have the resources to participate, so have relatively little input into such literature. The information in the medical literature is relevant everywhere, even in those countries that have relatively little input into the literature.
The fact that there is no identified risk of cancer would apply to every situation in which a foreign body is swallowed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's good to know that everything we've discussed will apply here too with the medical profession .
Doctor I was just reading that article again and you know these bits ;
Foreign body induced carcinogises in humans :
"or accidental implantation occurs , such as bullets or shrapnnel at war ; further more digestible particals and scarring maybe added to this category of foreign body . "Foreign body induced experimental carcinogises :
"Verified that carcinogesis potential depended on the properties of foreign bodies such as shape/size smoothness hardness perosity and electrostatic load and was also influenced by gender and strain of the host "
This just made me think of the tag it wouldn't apply to this would it ? Is it more medical equipment may I ask .
The article applies, in general, to all foreign bodies, but to say that there is risk with a specific clinical situation would require that there be clinical evidence of risk associated with that situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And there isn't any evidence in this situation is there ?
You said that even Dr. Ravoof admitted that there was no such evidence. Please provide a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I'll stop going on now , sorry that artical this morning really shook me up again . Many thanks .