Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

This requires a Toxicology expert. My wife was breathalysed

This requires a Toxicology expert. My wife was breathalysed after consuming virtually a full bottle of vodka. She had been driving at 10am then consumed the bottle of vodka between 10am and 11am and was breathalysed at 11.10am. She was obviously way over the limit at this point 6 times the Scottish limit. is there a way to backtrack and ascertain what her blood alcohol level would have been at 10am pre drinking the bottle of vodka.
Terry Hamilton
I am a £48 per month subscription payer.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The best that can be said in this situation would be an average level, including whether the level at 11.10 is consistent with a level of zero before the intake of the amount of alcohol that was consumed.

Whether the calculation of an average level would be helpful in this situation is more of a legal question than a medical question. However, if this would be helpful, it can be done, although it would require that you provide the actual level that was obtained, the exact amount of vodka that she drank, and her weight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for answer and info as follows.

The level obtained at 12.56pm, which was 2 hours after the consumption of 70cl of vodka was 145 this is the lower of two readings. The higher reading was 156 at 12.53pm. Weight is 8 stone 5 pounds or 53.2 Kg.

What was the result at 11.10 am that you referenced in your original post?
I have done some calculations with the weight that you provided.

For a 53.2 kg woman drinking 70 cl of vodka over one hour with no previous alcohol in the system, the average blood alcohol level would be 600 mg/dl, or 130 mmol/L.

This level would mostly correlate with the breathalyser result at 11.10, although it would not be significantly different an hour later.

Since this is an average, there is some variability, and a level of 156 mmol/L at 12.53 would be within the amount of variation that is seen.

So, these levels cannot be used to indicate that there was any alcohol in her system prior to starting the intake of alcohol at 10.00.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for reply, so is what you are saying in the last point is that it could not be proved that there was alcohol in her system at 10am

Correct.