Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My wife has a pain around the area of her kidney (left side

My wife has a pain around the area of her kidney (left side looking from the back) she has been to the doctor - after asking - tested for a kidney infection - positive - given antibiotics - this was 4 days ago - - had to leave work early because pain preventing her from working properly - re visited doctor today - not same doctor - tested for infection - gone apparently - but still in pain - can't twist beyond 20 degrees or so - urine test for kidney stone negative - PULLED MUSCLE? pain is highly localised and almost surface to touch - when touched caused burping
50 years old smoker moderate drinker
Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the details.Kidney pain gets better on movement as opposed to the pain here which aggravates on movement and specially twisting. Kidney pain is sharp and is excruciating in that the person suffering from it typically puts their thumb on the flank or the back and keep moving or rolling around. Burping, nasuea or vomiting can be caused by any type of pain and is a very non specific sign to be drawing conclusions on.This seems more like a muscle cramp. Since, the infection has cleared and the test for the stone yielded negative results, I would suggest that you have this treated as a muscle cramp. Massage therapy with Ibuprofen liquigel 4 times a day and cover it with warm cloth. An anti inflammatory tylenol three to four times a day and visit your doctor for prescription of a muscle relaxant. Hot fomentation with a hot water bottle will also be beneficial.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloYour wife needs a follow up exam.First, to make sure the infection is clearing up entirely and that there are no resistant bugs.Second, to make sure she does not have a spinal disc problem, which can come and go until it is a problem.Make sure you call her doctor, or have her do so. I am a double board certified doctor.Find me in medical anytime for medically complete answers.