Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Looking advice. On the 18th November 2015 I

Customer Question

Hi. Looking for some advice.
On the 18th November 2015 I had a Mirena coil fitted for the first time. The procedure was fine although very painful and had problems with low blood pressure/ nausea but decided to keep in.
I am getting the coil checked tomorrow night but have had very painful cramps ever since I had it fitted. I can't feel the strings and my abdominen feels full, breasts tender and nauseous. This has been on my mind so did a pregnancy test this morning and it is positive! I can't believe this result and don't know what to do. I'm not in a stable relationship, financial problems and pregnancy is the last thing on my mind.
Can you help and provide advice on my options?
I take it the pregnancy test will be accurate or does the hormones in the coil affect readings? The appointment tomorrow night is with doctor at the sexual health clinic and unsure of what they can do? i.e. ultrasound etc...
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Hannah
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for this question.Well you are certainly pregnant. The coil will not affect that.The coil will likely need to be removed as you decide what do with the pregnancyYou have all the same options you would have otherwise. if you decide to keep the baby the coil will need to be taken out. If you terminate the pregnancy the coil will be taken out temporarilyThey will confirm the pregnancy at the doctor's office with a blood test and probably an ultrasound to be sure
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. I was under the impression that the mirena coil was an effective contraceptive i.e. can't happen?
Does the coil harm the baby? I can't feel the threads on the coil - how will they remove it?
Well, it is about 99.9% effective. So it is not 100%.Plus you could have theoretically gotten pregnant before it was put in.They have ways of removing it.It could eventually harm the fetus if not removed
Please don't forget a positive rating. If you have more questions, just reply :)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have visited the sexual health clinic today. The coil can't be found to remove. Been referred for ultrasound scan to get gestation confirmed. Doctor had said that the manufacturers of the Mirena IUS recommends a medical termination if the coil can't be removed as can damage foetus.
What is your experience of pregnancy with Mirena coil?
If I had an abortion does that affect chances of pregnancy in the future?
I'm very sorry about this.I agree with that
Please let me know if you need more help on this question.
If you are satisfied, then please click a positive rating.
If you have more questions, just reply :)