How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 57232
Experience:  GP in the United States
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now

In July 2015 I went to the doctor with throbbing left flank

Customer Question

In July 2015 I went to the doctor with throbbing left flank pain. A urine dip test showed Leukocytes and Nitrates. I was prescribed trimethoprim. The flank pain reduced but I began to get dysuria and a burning sensation in the abdomen above the bladder which I hadn't had before. I was prescribed Nitroflurantin. The symtoms did not get any better, In October I had a CT scan which was clear and a flexible cystoscopy which showed no irritation to the bladder lining. In November urine analysis showed staphylococcus aureus in urine (+100,000), I was prescribed Levofloxacin. The symptoms worsened and then resumed the level of pain I had before taking the antibiotic. Present symptoms: Intense burning in the gut region above the bladder, occasional bladder pain (after a bowel movement). I have also been tested for inflammatory bowel, coeliac, H.pylori, C-reactin - all clear. My liver, bile, and kidney function are fine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
I think you have a condition called IC. Interstitial cystitis Think of it like a bladder spasm. It is common in young females and treated with a low acid diet and meds like amitryptiline
Dr. Phil, MD and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the ratingany more questions about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The consultant who did the cystoscopy said there were no signs of IT
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
It is IC. And you can't see IC via cystoscopyIt is something that is diagnosed by trial of medicationsI would try the drug or elmiron and see if it helpsI bet it will
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought that IC would come and go but this is all the time. Why would I have flank pain it it is IC or was that just the initial infection?
Elmiron is really hard to come by in the UK but I will try to seek it out.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Not necessarilysome of my patients have it all the time.The initial infection probably triggered the IC.try amitryptiline instead
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Righto, I will ask the GP to prescribe me that. Thank you for your help. And a Happy New Year!
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
you're welcome. :)
happy new year and cheers!
Let me know how it goes if the med helps or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
welcome :)