Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My 14 yr old child has had a peanut butter m and m and has

My 14 yr old child has had a peanut butter m and m and has gone bright red and itching all over in the last hour. I've given him 3 antihistamine but no effect. Do I need to go to hospital or there anything else I can do?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
The only over the counter treatment for a reaction to a food product that is likely an allergy is the antihistamine that you have already tried. If the antihistamine is not effective at easing the symptoms, then the only other option would be to go to the hospital.
If the symptoms are easing somewhat, then it would be OK to give it a little more time. But if symptoms are not easing or if any shortness of breath or tightening of the throat occurs, then it would be necessary to be seen emergently.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.