Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Man having some kind of psychiatric episode treated sporadically

man having some kind of psychiatric episode treated sporadically for anxiety depression in past has had night sweats going on for years his father and grandmother both suffered from anxiety, he drives too fast and doesn't concentrate this last month really agitated not sleeping running from room to room asking trivial questions constantly and has been sticking hands down trousers for months now has escalated into a couple of episodes of waving his penis around in kitchen with another adult present and inappropriate response to the shock ie laughing to himself something he does quite a lot is the penis thing just another tangent of the anxiety problem or is it something deeper can it be fixed
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.There can be underlying medical conditions for his symptoms.Thyroid gland disorder is a major cause of psychiatric symptoms.Serum TSH, free T4 levels should be checked.Diabetes or high blood sugar level also needs to be checked.His symptoms do suggest obsessive compulsive behavior with likely excess dopamine activities.Hence an antipsychotic may be beneficial to his symptoms if everything else ok.Risperidone can be started at 1 to 2 mg daily at bedtime and then dose can be increased as needed.Psychocounseling also should be started at the same time to modify his behaviors.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
puts my mind at rest greatly does seem to pinpoint what is going on however no mention of depression in answer