Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I keep getting cramps in my muscles, legs, arms and even in

Customer Question

I keep getting cramps in my muscles, legs, arms and even in my ribs. Is this a sign of a vitamin deficiency or is it something else. I am going on a long haul flight in a fortnight and would like to get it sorted before then, thanks.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It is not common that muscle cramps are due to vitamin deficiencies. It is possible, but it is not common. There are several vitamin deficiencies that may cause muscle cramps, such as several of the B vitamins or vitamin D deficiencies. Although not a common cause, there is little risk to trying a B-complex vitamin supplement or a vitamin D supplement.
It is more common that abnormal levels of electrolytes may cause muscle cramps, most often from potassium or magnesium. Electrolyte abnormalities are better managed by checking blood levels. If someone were to take significant amounts of potassium without checking levels, then it may increase the level of potassium to dangerous levels. So, this would be better addressed by seeing a doctor and getting blood tests.
It is also common for muscle cramps to be related to low hydration status, so simply drinking plenty of fluids may help ease the cramps.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.