Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am worried as my husband seems obsessive about clearing his

Customer Question

I am worried as my husband seems obsessive about clearing his bowels. He goes to the bathroom immediatley after waking and just before bed instead of responding to natural urges and is straining for 30 minutes. He has done this for about 10 years but it seems to have become worse in the past few months. He has never admitted it before and but recently has spoken to me about it. He says he wants to avoid going at work and also feels unclean otherwise. He can't go to sleep with this unclean feeling. As someone who eats little fibre and no breakfast I have tried to tell him he shouldn't expect to go twice a day. I am worried he will develop problems with his intestines because of the straining.
Please could you advise?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Your husband has develope obsessive compulsive behavior regarding bowel movements.If there is no blood in stool or severe constipation, this is not likely serious.Still, a colonoscopy is advised just to make sure no bowel problem.He can try a probiotic daily to regulate his bowel function besides high fiber diet.For obsessive compulsive symptoms, he will benefit from a SSRI like sertraline 25 to 50 mg daily.This should be discussed with his doctor.THis will help him immensely and improve his quality of life.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/