Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

During a bad flu , a swelling came up overnight under my arm

Customer Question

During a bad flu , a swelling came up overnight under my arm ( assumed this was a swollen lymph node ) 2 weeks after feeling better, the painful swelling is predominate when I have been inactive, after exercise the swelling goes down for a few hours but will come back. I understand that it can several weeks to fully recover from a viral infection - how long till swelling has gone for good and is there anything I can be doing in meantime
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
If the infection has settled and you are feeling better now then, if this were a lymph node, it would have settled by now.
So I would like that you should have this examined just to be sure and rule out other possibilities like a cyst or a small benign tumor that could be the cause of your problem.
Therefore I would recommend that you be seen and be examined just to be on the safe side.
It is HIGHLY UNLIKELY to be anything serious or anything to worry about and still the most likely possibility seems to be a lymph node because of the location that you mention and it can take a few weeks, sometimes for it to go away but usually it would go away much faster.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me when you are done asking by clicking on one of the rating options.
Kindest regards
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me when you are done.