Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am a 59 year old female and I take one 50mg atenolol daily

Customer Question

I am a 59 year old female and I take one 50mg atenolol daily and 2 10mg amitrytiline daily as prophylactic treatment for severe headache attacks. I also take one ramipril tablet daily for blood pressure. My blood pressure was checked about a month ago and is ok. When I get a headache it is always on the right side and top of my head. I really struggle to find a painkiller to ease the pain and the headache goes on for weeks and I usually have to be in bed for days as I feel too unwell for day to day activities. I have been in pain for 3 weeks now and have tried increasing the amitrytiline to 4 10mg tabs daily for the past two weeks. I have had several dizzy spells while doing this . I would appreciate any advice you can give me thank you
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this question.amitryptiline is okay for prevention of headache but I would try another drug called topamax or topiramate.It works amazingly well for headache prevention.Start with 50 mg twice a day and go up if neededanother option would be botox injections.These work very well for chronic headache
please don't forget a positive rating. If you have more questions, just reply :)