DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I used to be a smoker. And used to get sold counterfeit

Customer Question

Hello, I used to be a smoker. And used to get sold counterfeit cigarettes not knowing at the time. And know Im worried as this cigarettes are even more hazardous as I've read that they put asbestos in the ciigerettes and now I'm really worried
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Since you quit smoking, the damages if any caused to your lungs will gradually improve over time. You do not have any symptoms like worsening shortness of breath, weight loss or blood in sputum. Hence anything serious is unlikely. This can be confirmed by a CT scan of the lungs to look for any damage. Chances are you did not do any significant damage. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But those ciigerettes contained asbestos??
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Since you are not fully sure, and the exposure is still considered at low level, any serious damage unlikely.There is no specific treatment for that either.We just monitor for any changes by lung scans.If your Lung scan is clear, you do not need to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do u you know it's low level exposure? And what do you mean I am not fully sure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't get back to me. Would like another opinion
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Because cigarettes cannot contain much asbestos as impurities no matter what --not documented in any scientific studies. And you do not have any symptoms. By the way, did you have a lung can yet? Why are you so worried without any objective findings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am worried because I used to smoke counterfeit cigarettes which according to the news contain asbestos Init. That's why I'm worried.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe other expert has opted out of the question.What is your exact question??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is have I exposed myself to asbestos by smoking counterfeit cigarettes as on the news it said that counterfeit cigarettes contains asbestos. This is what I'm worried about Dr Thomas
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
It is quite possible that you were exposed to all sorts of things in counterfeit cigarrettes and even asbestos.However, there is no way to know that at this point. The exposure would probably be minimal, but you don't know.let me know if you have further questions.Please click a positive rating to continue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do you say if exposure took place it was minimal?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
because you are only 26.Significant exposure takes place over many years.It sounds to me like your problem her is anxiety, and unrealistic fear.You don't have symptoms. Your doctor has not said anything is wrong with you.You can get a chest x ray, and you can get lung testing.That would probably help put your mind at rest.Please click a positive now.Come back after that if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me an example of significant exposure. Can you put this into perspective for me because I'm really worried about being exposed to asbestos. I was smoking for 12 years
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Working with asbestos in a factor for 30 years.Please click a positive rating now.Your question set up is for a simple answer.I also recommend you get appropriate treatment for anxiety.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.