Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have been experiencing chest pains since Monday

Customer Question

Hello,I have been experiencing chest pains since Monday morning. I had swallowed to pills (one, a multivitamin and the other, a cod liver oil capsule). I also took a painkiller, but without consuming enough water with it. I then felt a burning sensation in my chest, with the feeling that the painkiller possibly was stuck lower down in my chest, so I drank more water. It was later when I tried to eat and drink something that I noticed how difficult it was to swallow and then later the sensation of heartburn. This has happened with every meal since and I also experience pain when I lie down at night to sleep, especially if I feel like I'm swallowing in air. I have been taking a liquid antacid but the pain is still there. I was wondering if this could be esophagitis? If so, what follow up do I need to do?Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.I would suggest that you start on a proton pump inhibitor like Prilosec 20 mg twice a day and eliminate all spicy, salted, smoked and barbecued food from your diet for now. Get an ECG done as soon as possible to rule out any cardiac disease, if none then, keep on the antacid and book an appointment with your Gastroenterologist for further work up.Hope this helps.Please do leave a positive rating for the service.Best wishes.