DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My grand-daughter, who is just 7yrs old, has had a strange

My grand-daughter, who is just 7yrs old, has had a strange redness of the skin only in the area between her upper lip and below the nose on the RIGHT side ONLY . I first observed it 9mths to 1yr ago and it showed up on photos taken at that time. Apart from itching very occasionally it did not seem to trouble her. It did not disappear and her parents saw 2 or 3 GPs who made different diagnosis and ordered various treatments. Nothing has worked and no final diagnosis has been made and now the RIGHT side of the childs mouth has broken skin and it looks infected . The child did have eczema as a baby and has got allergy to some nuts and Kiwi fruit. Do you have any experience of this occurring in youn children ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloPlease attach a picture here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I know it's stupid to ask without a photo, but I haven't got one to send that would show the problem at the moment. I actually realised this and was going to stop the transaction of payment but it went through before I could stop it unfortunately.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HelloIn fact this sounds like eczema.You can attach pictures here.The broken skin is chelitis and can be from:allergyeczema...also called atopic dermatitisB vitamine deficiency, riboflavin especiallyIron deficiencyContact dermatitis...something in your environmentDiabetesThis is actually not uncommon.The skin on the read area needs a sample sent to the lab as the diagnosis is not clear.She needs to have iron levels, all routine labs, and b vitamin levels checked. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
I have not heard back from you.Let me know if you have more questions.Please click a positive rating: that is how we are paid by just answer, not for the time spent.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) Would the skin sample be a swab ? I was suprised when I was told that the GP didn't take one to be honest!
2)Wouldn't atopic dermatitis also be on other parts of the body if she had it ?
3) Does it seem that her tendancy to allergy problems is probably the route cause of the red area above her lip?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hi.1. it depends, swab, scraping or small punch. It does not leave a scar and is not a problem.2. No. It is quite common to see it in one location only.3. There is a relationship in all likelihood. Exactly what can not be said. Some people have eczema without any allergies.Please click a positive.Also be sure to see my additional services offer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
You seem to have gone off line.
I am here daily.
Please click a positive rating.
Then come back as needed.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
thanks
I strive for excellent service
Let me know if there was something not answered.
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.