Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am 25 female and extremly paranoid about developing food

Customer Question

Hi i am 25 female and extremly paranoid about developing food allergies especally to soya and nut i have no allergies apart from an intolerance to strawberrys and panic about going in to anaphalaxtic shock please help me put my mind at rest
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this questionWell, for one, developing new allergies that cause anaphylaxis to foods at your age is very rare.some people get new allergies like bee stings at an older age but rarely food allergiesThis is exceedingly uncommon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you think it would be extremly rare to develope a dangerous allergy at my age and i dont have to worry alot of people on the internet say they have develope new allergys dangerous ones can that be true
That is VERY VERY VERY rare
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So i have definatly no need to worry about dangerous new allergy its a very paranoid thought i just think i am going to suddley go into anaphalaxis from something i have eaten millions of time and die
No, that is not going to happenyou have a better chance of winning the powerball :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou so i just need to stop worrying beacuse it not going to happen and do you think i should stop looking on the internet beacuse they have horror storys on them like people getting bad nut allergies at the age of 38 or something ­čśÇ
Yes, i do. You should definitely stop looking and relax about this
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou so much yoy have put my mind at ease if i still need some more information can i email you agin please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And your quite certan that i wont have any problems with nuts or soya or anything i have eaten a million times. And im definatly not going to develope new allergies at my age and go into anphaltic shock
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And can you say percentage whise how sure you are that its nt going to happen sorry for keep asking just want it in ma head that a have nothing to worry about ever
I'm 99.999999% surePlease don't forget a positive rating for me. That is the only way I am credited for my work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats great thankyou ever so much ifor your kindness in helping me try and put my mind at rest
you're welcome :)good luck to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just one more thing so if i inantvertantly ate something with nuts in i will be fine beacuse i havnt got a nut allergy and i wont get one now is that correct
Yes, you would
you would be fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And theres definatly definatly no chance of any allergies coming on now ­čśŐ
No, I highly doubt it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so in other words i have to stop being stupid beacuse its not going to happen well your 99.9999% sure its not going yo happen allergies or anaphalaxis
bingo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you ever seen it in your carrer sorry for so many questions i just dont want it to happen ever
Nope
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so the chances are basicly zero just people say on the net that they have suddenly developed serious allergys to things like nuts and soya
Would you mind accepting additional services?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would but havnt any money left
I see.Well I can assure that it won't happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its hard for me once i get things in my head to get them out aslong as i no for sure its not going to happen that helps me try and get this pit my mind. It drives me crazy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And when i read people on the internet says oh yes i developed a serious nut allergy and soya allergy at 39 it makes me panic my main things i worry about its developing an allergy to nuts and soya
Please accept additional services to continue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi i have can you give me some more information please i just want to no that its bot going to happen ot really frightens me the worst is nuts and soya
Yes, I can tell you that I have treated thousands of patients with allergies and I have NEVER seen an anaphylactic reaction from food develop at a late age in life
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never in your whole carer its just when people put things on the internet it worrys me and i am so frightened of suddenly getting an allergy to nuts or soya at 25 and having anaphalaxis
Yes, people put crazy things on the internet. I have never seen it.I have never seen it even in people with crazy allergies
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean people with crazy allergys and beacuse i have no other allergy apart from a strawberry intollerance does that make it even less likley may i ask how long you have been a doctor for
I mean people who are allergic to everything9 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for all the questions just really paranoid and worried i just dont want it to happen to me its scary and anaphalaxis can kill you
You can't go through life worrying about what could happen to you when there is no real riskyou have a better chance of getting into a car accident on your way to workIt is just not rational
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ano but it worrys me i wanna no thats its not going to happen beacuse it cant ano i sound crazy
Nothing in life is a sure thing. But this is close
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How close would you say and dont allergie tend to develope in childhood
99.999999%yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So really it cant happen in thorey can you give me like a thorey with the same odds so a can think of that
It is the same odds of a 20 year old having a heart attack
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And that shouldnt happen often does it. So you personally think i should get on with ma life and not worrie coz its not going to happen?
yes, you need to move on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And your pritty confident that i have nothing to worry about and its not going to happen ever
I'm very confident
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your very confident it wont happen ever?
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so let me just get this write your very confident that it will never happen ever your 99.999999% sure. You have never seen it or herd of it and you proberly never will
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou my mind has sort of been put at rest is there anything that you think will help to get it in to my head that its not going to happen
I'm not sure what else I can say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I no thankyou ever so much and before i leave you in peice you quite positive it CANT happen
Yes, I can be positive it won't happen
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hellothis is a different expert.You need to address the anxiety.Cognitive behavioral therapy, from a PhD clinical psychologist, is the type of doctor to see.discuss this with your doctor for a referral.Simply asking about this is not going to treat the underlying problem, the anxiety and "paranoia" itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i ask you have ever herd of getting serious allergies in adulthood
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Adults to develop allergies.It is less common than in childhood, but it is on the increase.See this abstract from the NIH.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22624448 There are many reasons for this, and I am at the forefront of these in my training.However, this thread has already been rated.If you would like to go into this in detail, find me in the medical category by request.Use a long request lock and "for Dr. thomas only" in the question title.Contact customer service for any help you need.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm, the system will not let me edit my answer to your question. There is some cross over in the biochemistry of anxiety and allergy as well. So, it is very important that you get your anxiety effectively treated. You have not mentioned that you are. I will go over these common pathways in an integrative fashion when you find me.Good luck. Hope that helped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr phil sed it was very very very rare to develope anaphalaxis to food allergies in adulthood i cant find you
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
it is rare, but can happen see the article.get customer service to help you find me, it should be very clear