Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Please can I request a specialist GI doctor (not dr

Hi - please can I request a specialist GI doctor (not dr thomas).
i am recovering from a long unresolved bout of giardia which required very strong antibiotics (tinizadole and albendazole together for 10 days) and have been left with very strange symptoms. One of the most prominent is a discomfort on swallowing foods. Whenever i swallow the right side of my throat feels sore and then sometimes refers a shooting pain to my shoulder and back. It is as if a nerve has been touched or twinged. Often when i burp it brings some relief and then re-appears.i have 4 very specific questions
a)how long do post infectious giardia symptoms take to die down?b)could this be GERD which is making my throat sore or irritated?c)what is going on in relation to the swallowing and the nerve being twinged? It is affecting my ability to enjoy food!d)what would you recommend to help reduce both the gerd and stomach instability? my pals have suggested
psyllium husk and pro biotics but i wonder if something else is needed?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am an internist.We don't have an GI specialists online.I'm happy to be of assistance though.An internist is likely as close as you will get on here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's absolutely fine. I am a bit of an expert on Giardia now having seen multiple UK specialists on Infectious Diseases. I am about 85% sure we have cleared it out as i have now done 3 antigen and 1 pcr test - all negative. i also did a wider tropical screen. I do have some CIVD concern as one of my igg subclasses is slightly low but this question is less about that and more about post infectious issues but especially this very odd sensation upon swallowing which triggers both a pain from swallowing itself but also a referred pain down to the shoulder. It is only on one side of my throat and only on one side of the shoulder blades. help appreciated!
ps i have assumed it is not a throat infection as it comes and goes and i have no fever so doubt this is a co-infection issue.
a)In my experience this can take a long time. Mainly because the flora of the gut are disrupted to a large extent b)absolutely. Another possibility is something else like a fungal infection (candida esophagitis) c)This is common in the gut. It is known as referred pain. d)I would go with prilosec and probiotics. Culturelle or VSL #3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi - i have three follow upscould the antibiotics have caused the fungal infection? if so, what would you do to resolve it?when you say this is common with the gut? the pain is upon swallowing? can gerd cause nerves to sensitised? pls explainmy final symptom is that i have an almost odd sense of jitteriness which appears to emanate from the gut but then resonates elsewhere. thoughts?thanks
1)yes absolutely. That was what I was thinking exactly. You must have some type of medical background to realize that. I would use fluconazole anti fungal pills2)I mean referred pain is common. For example gall bladder pain usually presents in the right shoulder blade3)I'm not sure what to make of the jittery feeling. anxiety maybe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so how would i know if i have candida in the throat? the only irony would be that i took albendazole as the antibiotics which is a v strong antifungal?
yes that would be ironic. stranger things have happened thoughtwo options to confirm1)endoscopy2)trial of empiric therapy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would a throat swab be a less intrusive first step though?
nope. It wouldn't work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - perhaps diet changes to see if it comes and goes?
you could give it a shot. wouldn't hurt!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have an appointment with the infectious doctor on 19th and the immunologist on 20th so will see what they say and i can then see a GI if needed who i presume would conduct an endoscope. the feeling comes and goes hence me thinking it must be somehow related to my stomach instability and the gas being produced? does that make sense?
yes, that does make sense. And like I stated, simple GERD is a possibility. I was just giving you other options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so on basis it is gerd what would you suggest?
prilosec 20 mg daily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks!
welcome :)please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it.bonuses are appreciated but not mandatory :)
I am not credited for my work unless you rate positive. Most customers don't know this. I am just letting you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
final question - when you say a long time for recovery are you saying weeks months or years? i have read giardia can cause really bad post infectious symtoms
weeks to months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
great! lucky me. i suspect i wil be longer as i may have had giardia since may which wasnt killed off! oh well!
I think you will be ok :)cheers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cheers! yes. me too though giardia is deeply unpleasant trust me!
So I hear. Hang in there my friend. ;)