Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Iv had a front tooth taken out on 6 January, I had an abcess

Customer Question

Iv had a front tooth taken out on 6 January, I had an abcess on my gum below the tooth! My extraction site is healing well but I still have a small yellow spot on my gum, below the extraction, Im concerned what is this, is it cancer
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am a cancer doctor.
this doesn't sound like cancer.
sounds more likely to be pus or the abscess being the small yellow spot.
was the abscess lanced and drained and treated with antibiotics?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello]Please attach a picture here and I can give you an accurate answet.This is not cancer. I have seen this after tooth extractions, and in fact, you have to make sure the dentist cleared out the abscess, which can be in the root. It can extend through the cortical bone and show up in the gum. This is not that uncommon. It is a reason to follow up with the dentist asap, to make sure it does not need further procedures.I am quite familiar with thisDr. Thomas
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am the first expert to help you
I'm glad the other expert agrees with me that this isn't cancer
I also suggested in my first response that the yellow spot could be the abscess and I asked if your dentist drained the abscess and treated you with antibiotic therapy.
if he didn't then you need to have that done
antibiotic therapy alone sometimes can't get into abscess because they are walled off
they need to be cut into to help them drain and for the infection and bacteria to come out.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com