Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

It's just as my question appears above really Dr Phil

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Phil here.what is your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what really scares me with all of this as I keep thinking what if it did cause this inflammation that goes unoticed then it leads to cancer .
I'm 100% sure it will NOT cause cancer.I'm giving you my word that I am 100% sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But how can you be so sure the above scenario won't happen . I mean if this inflammation can continue with going unoticed and can then cause cancer .
Because I have seen dozens of foreign bodies and never seen cancer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I suppose I keep forgetting that there's no medical evidence to suggest such a thing can happen . So again if this tag stays in her forever now shad will happen to it so that it doesn't affect her cells . I know you said about it being walked off but that doesn't 100 per cent happen if it's retained does it ?
correct. There is no evidenceyes, that does 100% happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks and may I ask if this did cause inflammation. How is it different inflammation from the one that does cause cancer .
Because many things cause inflammation. Infections cause inflammationHowever, cancer is a genetic defect in the cell.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Phil.
Thanks for reply . Yes that's what Dr Ravoof had said to me but said if a foreign body is retained over time it can cause cell mutations which eventually lead to cancer ? But is this not correct ?
No. That is ridiculous
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phew thank god for that ! I mean I know it's not likely that this tag is retained , I pray to God but the thought of if it was it could cause that just made me so anxious about the whole thing . Are you able to explain to me why scientifically it won't do that ? No worries if not
Take tuberculosis for example. This is a very bad disease that causes chronic inflammation. The body walls off the bugs in the lung.However, tuberculosis has NEVER been shown to cause cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see and the difference wouldn't be that tuberculosis gets treated whereas a FB would be there causing the inflammation indefinatly ?
Even if the TB isn't treated it still gets walled off in many cases
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok and what happens if it doesn't get walled off ?
Well you get really really sick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And is that the same with an FB there would be noticeable symptoms if it didn't get walled off ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And is this what would happen if a FB didn't get walled off too ?
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok may I ask what would happen if it wasn't walled off?
Lets open a new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't really doctor Phil . I've spent so much money on this now that I have to just try my best to believe that I haven't caused her any future harm . Are you able to just answer me that last question if possible .
Yes, I can.It will be walled off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . You ve been great really thorough and patient with me I know I've gone on . May I just ask you a personal question Dr Phil . If this were to be a scenario with your child would you be concerned about the tag not passing or it causing any inflammation ect
I would absolutely not be concerned and I have two kids 6 and 7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much . And you wouldn't fear that although they say this type of inflammation can't lead to cancer at present . It may change in the future and they could suddenly say there is a link or risk ?
No I wouldn't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for all your time and help .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Phil .
Doctor I've just realised this question didn't reach you during our conversation is it ok to send it now ? I don't know what happened on the thread.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you this is what I had typed out ...Ok that's re assuring to know thank you . One thing I was thinking of doctor is that sometimes with certain cancers I'm aware there is no cause as such . I was worried that a retained foreign body could trigger other cancers elsewhere in the body such as bowel cancer as is that an inflammatory disease ? Could that be caused by inflammation from a foreign body or have I got the wrong end of the stick .
no this doesn't happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks so a foreign body wouldn't be able to trigger a cancer elsewhere in the body . I just kept thinking I've known of people get cancer say breast or bone cancer and they say they don't know what's caused it . It wouldn't be down to a foreign body underlying elsewhere ,
No it wouldn't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks very much again oh and should I worry that this tag she may of swallowed looks like plastic ? I just know there's alot of hype now about plastics being BPA free ?
nah
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol are you humouring me now , I don't blame you . But you would tell me if there were any concerns with my last 2 questions I know your prob fed up of me now but I just want to be sure .
I think we have covered that. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . I have just been worrying today about this whole BPA thing as im sure they were plastic. Sorry to ask but on a serious note is it a concern if they contain BPA are is retained in her body causing inflammation ? Sorry I'll pay again if you can't answer me on this thread .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Phil .
Did my last text send.
Many thanks .
Claire .
I think you need treatment for your anxiety Claire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I am trying not to worry about this and have started some CBT sessions so I'm hoping that will help soon . It's just that article Dr Ravoof sent me about the foreign bodies and cancer and it said it depended on the size and material and then of course I thought about this tag . I googled it and it brought up information about BPA and links with childhood leukaemia . That's what I feel worried about now . So that's why I asked about if there is a risk if there is BPA in this tag and its stayed in the body . Are you able to tell me Dr Phil. I'm so sorry to ask again .
There is no proven link
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok may I ask if this tag did contain BPA and has retained in her body will it keep releasing it into her body to absorb? Just thinking if it's not walked off and is causing inflammation.
I am not familiar with that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry may I ask in what way do you mean ?
Like I said, there is no link between BPA and cancer.
The risk of inflammation---I'm not sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you do you mean the risk of the FB causing inflammation ? Your not sure if this can happen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And may I ask would her body keep absorbing the BPA if it is made of that
I'm not familiar enough with the chemical concept of BPA to answer that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . I suppose its the same as any other swallowed FB That maybe plastic . There's not been any evidence of it causing concern or problems due to it being BPA has there if it's been retained .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And hopefully would it be such a small amount that it would be negligeable if retained .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Dr Phil . Did you see my comments above do you think that they are accurate . I just didn't understand when you said above :
" The risk of inflammation -- I'm not sure ".
It means I don't know enough about BPA to comment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh no do you think it could cause the cancer inducing inflammation if it is BPA material
I have no idea. I doubt it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Phil .
I have just been reading over everything again to try to put this incident behind me . There was just one thing niggling me that Dr Ravoof said in regards ***** ***** statement ;
Dear customer,Sometimes due to the process of fibrosis the foreign body may be walled off and have no further inflammation, in that case there would be no problem. Hence no risk of cancer. But if there is a chronic ongoing inflammation then there may a risk of the cells undergoing a change in their normality and becoming cancerous. However as I said this is a developing field and we don't have all the knowledge at present about it. But the risk cannot be ruled out.I just wondered at present we know that there is no clinical evidence that this chronic inflammation due to a retained foreign body can cause cancer . And I know you assured me that is unlikely to change in the future due to established facts but it just concerns me that Dr Ravoof said that we don't know all the facts and that it is a developing field . May I ask you does that mean that research could suddenly say that this type of chronic inflammation can cause cancer ? I hope it's ok to ask you this. Sorry.
would you mind opening a new one?