Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

HiI have been having crippling right sided back pain

Customer Question

I have been having crippling right sided back pain which radiates across the entire lower back and right leg. As directed by GP went to A & E - no examination etc - just prescribed high does Ibuprofen and Co-Codamol. The pain is severe and the analagesics at best only take the edge off the pain. I have kidney stones and gallbladder infection in the past and am now wondering ?? is there some sort of infection as now the urine is burning etc.
I am barely able to walk which is the best facility for attention with the ability to prescribe appropriate medication in Nottingham as I would have to book a cab return. I live in Clifton. Thank you, Ana-**** *******
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Davidyou need to see a doctor again and get your urine checked for urinary tract infection.you need a kidney ultrasound to check for kidney stones. a kidney stone could cause severe pain and also trace or moderate blood in your urine. this can be seen on urinalysis testing of your urine.A&E would still be the best place to go to see a doctor and get an ultrasound scan of your kidneys to check for kidney stones.they can also check your urine there for infection.if you have a bladder infection, they can give you a prescription for antibiotics.make sure you drink lots of water to help flush out any kidney stone or bladder infection.take the ibuprofen with food in your stomach.the co-codamol can cause constipation since it has codeine in it. make sure you have a bowel movement daily. if you don't , you need to use a laxative to get your bowels to move.gall bladder infection usually causes pain below your right ribs in the abdomen area. so it sounds like wrong location for gall bladder.more likely a kidney stone or a pinched nerve in your lower back like from a herniated disk which can press on nerves and can cause pain to radiate to your legssteroid injections or oral steroid course can sometimes be used to decrease inflammation in your body and help that disk go back into placelet me know if you have questions.