Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have been having severe heartburn . Some nights I have to

I have been having severe heartburn . Some nights I have to sleep sitting in the chair. I have now started to feel violently sick after I have eaten but get a sharp pain in my pancreas if I start retching to be sick.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
it sounds like you have severe acid reflux and you could have gastroparesis or delayed stomach emptying where food doesn't exit your stomach properly.
this can happen if nerves which control your stomach are damaged.
a radiology fluoroscopy stomach emptying study with contrast can see if you have gastroparesis or not.
you need to see a GI specialist or your GP doctor to get this test
there are some treatments for gastroparesis such as reglan which could help improve your stomach motility.
you might need stronger nausea medications such as zofran to help decrease these vomiting episodes.
you really need to go to the A&E and get blood test to see if you have electrolyte abnormalities from repeated vomiting.
this can cause metabolic alkalosis of your blood stream and cause severe malnutrition and dehydration.
you might even have to go into the hospital and get IV fluids and treatment if you have been vomiting for a long time.
you need blood test to check on amylase and lipase to check on your pancreas.
medications like Nexium or Protonix can be stronger than omeprazole in helping to decrease stomach acid.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for your expert help. You have given me a lot mote
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
thanks for accepting additional phone services.
my contact information is below
let me know when you would like to talk
I can call you as well