Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MBBS,MD (USA)Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I know this is a bit neurotic but I am suffering from

I know this is a bit neurotic but I am suffering from anxiety, can you tell me roughly what my risks of getting lung cancer are. I am 52 and I smoked for about 15 years until the age of 30, so have not smoked for over 20 years. I was a social smoker. I am fit and healthy and have no other risk factors as far as I know... please can you reassure me. Thank you
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
hi there,i am online and will be happy to answer your questions.thank you for your patience, i am very glad that you quit smoking long ago. your risk of lung cancer are equal to that of a non smoker. risk of cancer declines to equal that of a non smoker in 15 years. ( based on research )risk of heart attack decreases by 50 percent in one year and 90 percent in 2 years.risk of having lung diseases like copd decreases to equal that of a non smoker in 5 years you do not need to worry, and do not need any screening / imaging techniques .i hope this answers your questions.please let me know if you have any questions . thanks
Expert:  Internist replied 1 year ago.
I am here to help you and I wish you best health,if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box.we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask anytime.Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drhashmimd/?rpt=3800Thanks for using justanswer.com