Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been put on antibiotics six times in the last six months

I have been put on antibiotics six times in the last six months for a range of things including sinusitis twice, a tooth infection twice, cystitis and thrush on a number of occasions. I recently lost about half a stone in a wk around the time I came off the pill which may be irrelevant but I thought worth mentioning. I keep getting thrush and the cystitis has just come back again. Could there be a connection with all these things? I am normally healthy; I am 36, female, have a good diet, do regular exercise and do not smoke.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to mention that the doctor took blood and I didn't have hiv or diabetes.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There are some connections in some of these issues. When someone has been healthy for most of their life and then has a number of infections in various locations of the body over the course of a year or so, it is most often a coincidence. It is true that someone that has a variety of defects in the immune system has an increased risk of infection, but these problems are usually causing problems over a much longer period of time. It is also true that there are some general health conditions that also can affect risk of infection, such as smoking, diabetes, or eating a poor diet, but these also usually create problems over years, plus you apparently do not have any of these issues. There also can be a general impact of stress on the body, which can cause an increased risk of many diseases, including infectious diseases. Most people cannot control or prevent stressful times in their lives, so we usually do not dwell on the impact of stress, but if you have had an increase in the amount of stress in your life over the last year or two, that could be contributing to these various infections. It is worth noting that stress in this context is not just life situations that would be considered negative. For example, getting married or having a child creates a ton of stress, although most people would consider these to be positive life events. The key connection that is present in this history is that someone that is taking frequent or chronic antibiotics is has much higher risk of developing thrush or other fungal infections. The antibiotics will not only kill the bad germs at the site of infections, but will also kill the good germs, and the fungus that causes thrush can grow better when the good germs are not present creating competition in that environment. So, most of these issues are probably unrelated. It is possible that stress could be contributing to all of these infections, if present. But the primary connection among these issues would be that the risk of thrush is much increased in someone taking frequent or chronic antibiotics. Is there any other information that would be helpful?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. In the short term, what do you recommend for dealing with the cystitis - I finished a 3 day course of antibiotics abiut 4 days ago and it's just come back. I don't want to perpetuate all these things by going on antibiotics again....
Cystitis is frequently treated without checking a culture, because these infections are usually very easy to eradicate. However if an initial culture was not done, it would be appropriate to obtain a culture when someone has a recurrent infection to assure that there is not a resistant germ that is causing the infection. The culture can then be used to guide selection of the antibiotic that is better able to kill the germ. However, it will typically need an antibiotic, so the best way to avoid worsening the thrush would be to better select an antibiotic that is more likely to kill the germ quickly and completely.
Can I provide any further information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that's great
Very good. Please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.