Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr Ravoof . Me again ! Doctor I just wanted to speak

Hi Dr Ravoof .
Me again !
Doctor I just wanted to speak with you again as since we last spoke I have seen a paediatrician with my baby for advice who assured me as you did that he would be astonished if this tag caused any trauma through the GI tract .
He also said there is no long term concern in regards ***** ***** as I was concerned and that he has never known of this in this scenario even when tags are retained .
I also heard back from another oncologist on here who reassured me that there is no risk of cancer and said that if this tag did get stuck it would be walled off by the body . I spoke of the theoretical risk of cancer and they questioned me as to why there is a thought that there is a theoretical risk and I just wasn't able to explain this as I feel confused with it all .
They both maintain that there wouldn't always be symptoms if this tag caused chronic inflammation as many people have retained foreign bodies without symptoms and there has never been any cancer caused due to this .
I just wondered if you can go over what the theoretical risk is and why so I am clear on that . It's difficult when you have different people telling you different things .
Many thanks ..
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer, I cannot comment on other doctors advice you have received. I respect all the experts on this site and value their opinion. I have explained as best as I could in my previous answers to your question. At this point I would just remind you that since the beginning I have also said that there is no risk in your case. Only when you put forth some hypothetical questions which would not likely happen in your case, then I gave you the theoretical answer and even that I said will not happen practically and the risk is low. So let me say this again for the last time as clearly as I can, in your case there is no risk of cancer. This is my final word regarding this matter. Take care. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but that is what I wanted to ask you is what your classing as my hypothetical question and what is the theoretical risk ?thats all I wanted to clarify if possible .
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Ravoof has opted out.
Can I be of assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Love again .
Yes I was just asking Dr Eavoof to clarify a few things for me since seeing a paediatrician but I don't think he is going to for me .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if you are able to help at all
Well, he opted out after saying what he said was his final word regarding the matter above.
However, it is impossible to clarify a theoretic risk beyond the fact that someone can postulate that there may be a risk. The only way to get any clearer information would be on review of the clinical literature.
For example, someone can say that since cigarettes increase the risk for lung and other cancers, there is a theoretic risk from electronic cigarettes. It is a purely theoretic statement based on the fact that cigarettes increase the risk for cancer. But to be able to clarify the risk would require clinical studies, and since these devices are new, it will be years before we can clarify the risk associated with electronic cigarettes.
If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I understand that but what I wasn't sure about is why Doctor Ravoof was saying there was a theoretic risk in the first place . I thinks it's because he said chronic inflammation induces cancer and foreign bodies can cause chronic inflammation . But what I was and am still concerned about is the fact that if my child has this foreign object retained and has this chronic inflammation without symptoms then Doctor Ravoof states there is a risk of cancer and this is what is still worrying me .
According to his statement above, he said it in response to your hypothetical question.
However, the important statement is that he said from the beginning that there was no risk, and even with the hypothetical question and risk, he said that there was no practical risk.
Now, you also have her Pediatrician tell you exactly what I have told you - there is no long term concern in regards ***** ***** and that he has never known of this in this scenario even when tags are retained.
So, everyone, including Dr. Ravoof, have told you that there is no risk. If you are still worrying, it is because of your fears, not because of any medical information that has been provided by any physician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's just his information that scared me as he said there was no risk from the beginning but this was because he believes the body will show symptoms of chronic inflammation before it induces cancer . But as you and other doctors have told me this is incorrect . I think that's what he's calling my hypothetical question as I asked if the body retained the tag and there was chronic inflammation without symptoms would this be a cancer risk and he said yes . That's what is still worrying me . As how can he say there's no risk of this can happen .
He can say there is no risk for the same reason that every other doctor is telling you that there is no risk - there has never been any clinical evidence or even case reports of this happening, which is also what her Pediatrician said today using different wording.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes my paediatrician said he would be astonished if this tag didn't pass without causing GI tract trauma so I was really relieved . It's just the same doubt in my mind that I can't get rid of about doctor Ravoof saying if it is retained and causes inflammation there is a cancer risk .
No, he dis not say that. He summarized what he said above.
You may need to seek counseling to be able to get over your fears that every doctor has told is not a reason for concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know in this thread Dr Ravoof did not say it but looking back over our previous conversation this is what he has told me and what is concerning me :Dear customer,In your case as I said there is no risk since it is a small tiny flexible object which will easily pass through. However if it gets stuck and there is chronic inflammation then there is definitely a risk for cancer.Take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my issue that I'm struggling to understand how he can say there's no risk and then sometimes he will say the above ?
I am sorry for the delay, but I have been away from the computer.
I cannot read his mind, but there is no risk, and that now has been confirmed by your personal physician. He was possibly speaking of a theoretic risk as being a risk. However, as I have said before, there is enough difficulty in life worrying about documented risks without also worrying about theoretic risk. Since you have taken your daughter to see the Pediatrician, I assume that you drove her in a car, and if so, you have already exposed her to a greater documented risk than the theoretic risk posed by this episode. The risk of a single car ride is quite low, but it is still higher than the risk associated with this episode.
You need to spend your energies on avoidance or limiting documented risks rather than worrying about theoretic risk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor that scenario really helped me to rationalise things ,
This was another statement from Dr Ravoof :
"Regarding the long term complications such as cancer this is very unlikely in this case, since these are tags which will easily pass and will not stay for years. However in a few cases due to chronic inflammation by a foreign body there may changes in the cells which may lead to cancer very rarely. But let me repeat I do not think this is a possibility in your case as the body will clearly display symptoms to which you can address before cancer occurs ."
I know o can't count on the last bit of information about symptoms being accurate but do you think he is referring to the incidences in that article he sent me rather than a swallowed foreign body causing this as there is no evidence of that is there ?
And I forgot to ask earlier doctor also may I ask what a case report consists of ? I just remembered you saying about this and wondered what it was .
Many thanks .
It does not matter. There is no value in re-reading every sentence from every discussion and then asking my opinion of it, because the answer is the same. The risk that he discussed is, at worst, a theoretic risk, and you need to focus on real, documented risks.
A case report is single case or group of cases that report a situation that may be the first clue of an association, although case reports can sometimes simply be s coincidence. For example, a case report that would be pertinent in this situation would be a case that involved any cancer in which the pathology of the tumor found a swallowed foreign body, walled off or not, in the center of the cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see so that's very re assuring that there hasn't been any of these cases along side medical evidence also
. Thank you doctor you've really helped to make me see more clearly about things and become more rational about my situation . I think In my panic I lost that train of thought and the doubts crept back in .
One last thing doctor , I remember you saying that thankfully evidence is unlikely to change in regards ***** ***** link with swallowed foreign bodies and cancer in the future but I do remember you saying only time will tell .
Is that because there could be a case report come to light at any time in the future that this scenario could cause cancer ?
I just always think about her future and hate to think if this foreign body has stayed in her the thoughts in regards ***** ***** could change at any moment with new research . It's always on the news ect about new research into cancer risks such as red meats and alcohol consumption.
It's just something that has ran through my mind . Hope it's ok to ask .
Of course, new evidence can come to light in the future, but the same possibility exists for the hundreds of other substances to which she eats or comes in contact on a daily basis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes and I think you said that this was unlikely wasn't it due to risks or something ?
Also if my daughter needed a blood test at any point during her life does this show up any fibrosis or inflammation in the body ?
It is unlikely only because it has not yet been shown to this point. Risks from new substances may take years to become apparent, as in the electronic cigarette discussion above. But children have been swallowing foreign bodies for as long as there has been children.
There are no blood tests to detect fibrosis and the blood tests for inflammation will only detect inflammation above a certain level, and usually does not detect localized inflammation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is true children will be children so hopefully would you say it's fair to say there would be no future risk as this wouldn't be classed as a new substance that she has swallowed would it unlike the e cigarettes
No one can predict the future, but the absence of any identified risk currently certainly speaks against that there will ever be an identified risk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor and finally would you agree with the paediatrician that he feels he would be astonished if this tag didn't pass if she did indeed swallow it . That's what I have to remember in all of this that age may well not have swallowed one anyway ,
I have already told you that when a child swallows a foreign body, it almost always passes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and they looked to me to be plastic . It wouldn't matter what material it was in regards ***** ***** risk ? In this scenario . I started to think about plastic and things being BPA free . I didn't know if that's a concern in this case .
There has been no identified risk for cancer for any swallowed foreign body, regardless of material.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your help ... Again . I wish you good night or good day depending on where you are in the world.
Kind Regards
Claire .
You are most welcome.
Please remember to provide a positive rating.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.