Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Madam. I wanted to ask a question about my indigestion.

Dear Sir/Madam.
I wanted to ask a question about my indigestion. I will be honest and say this is primarily for reassurance from a fear or oesophageal cancer as I suffer very badly from chronic hypochondriasis which I am getting treatment for in the form of CBT.
I am a white, 43 (just) male who lives in the UK. I was a social smoker until I was 30 and haven't touched one since. I watch my alcohol intake and had 6 months of abstinence in the 1st half of last year. I am 5'11" and 12 stone and active.
For about the last 8 years I have occasionally got food stuck, normally chicken or steak and normally when I've been shovelling it down. 2.5 years ago I got a piece of steak stuck and had to go to A&E. This was eventually removed with the aid of a gastroscope and was, embarrassingly, VERY large! As part of this, they noticed some inflammation and took a number of biopsies as the doctor suspected I had eosinophilic oesophagitis. However, they all turned up completely clear. I was prescribed 20mg omeprazole. This time last year, following a fear I had of blood in the stool, I got very anxious and ended up having a colonoscopy. This was also completely clear. This year, at Christmas, I over indulged a little and on Christmas Day got a piece of turkey temporarily stuck, although some water got it down ok. For some reason though I then began convincing myself I had oesophageal cancer! This has lead to a number of follow on symptoms like a bit of pain behind my breastbone, belching, getting obsessed with swallowing my own spit and becoming very, very anxious.
I went to see the GP who looked at my records ie having had 2 clear scopes at either end in the last 2.5 years. I told her about having some excess spit (although I think this is me obsessing about it) a little pain behind my breastbone and feeling sick sometimes after eating, though no vomiting, no weight loss, no cough etc etc.
She did a very thorough physical examination, felt for obstructions, tapped my chest cavity and listened to my stomach gurgling. After all of this she said there was absolutely no risk of me having oesophageal cancer and told me to up the omeprazole for a month and relax, then see her again then.
Given this position and these facts, does this sound sensible? The only other thing to note is that my Father's Father died of oesophageal cancer in his late 50s, although he had 3 sons and 1 daughter and all are now in their 70s and none have had any cancer.
Please can you provide me with reassurance that I don't have oesophageal cancer?
Jules
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
I totally agree with your doctor in that you have absolutely no reason to worry about oesophageal cancer.
The gold-standard test for oesophageal cancer is endoscopy and biopsy which you have had done and was clear which rules our cancer definitively.
I think it is your anxiety/hypochondriasis that is getting the better of you at the moment.
This session is open to further questions that you may have.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr.Many thanks for your reply. Does that position still hold given the endoscopy was done 2.5 years ago?I'm assuming it does btw!Thank youJules
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Yes it certainly does.
I am sure that you do not have cancer.
Trust me.
It is your anxiety that is getting the better of you.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. That has set my mind at rest, and should least allow me to deal with this dyspepsia without worrying about awful things like cancer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ps, is this an answer I will get from any GI expert?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You should not worry about cancer, whatsoever.
Trust me there is nothing to worry about.
This is the exact answer that you will get from a GI expert as well.
The gold-standard test is endoscopy which was negative and your biopsies were negative as well.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end as that is the only way I am credited on here.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Are you a GI expert though and what are you qualifications? Sorry to ask. So worried!
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
I understand your anxiety.
You can ask as many questions about my qualifications.
I am trained in gastroenterology and internal medicine.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do you provide a name so I can check online?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
My credentials have already been verified by this website using a leading third party.
If you want to know my details I would suggest you accept the additional services offer whereby I can send you my private details without anyone else seeing them as this website is an open forum.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - it is just the details really.
My worry is that cancer could have developed in the interim.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Please email me on my private email that I have provided.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
There is no risk of cancer in your case.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Email sent to yahoo account. Could you provide details and also any advice for how I can reduce symptoms please?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
ok please wait.