Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

On Friday I visited my dentist with severe pain when biting

Customer Question

Hi. On Friday I visited my dentist with severe pain when biting on a molar (previously crowned). My Dentist examined me and said he thought there was an infection. He took a bite print (carbon paper type thing) and said he thought the tooth was raised. He ground off some of the opposite tooth to reduce contact. He gave me antibiotics (amoxicillin 500mg, 3 per day, 7 day course). He didn't suggest any specific follow up and he's now on sick leave for 6 weeks. I trust and like my dentist. So I'm 7 pills into the antibiotics, Friday and Saturday saw the pain get worse. Today it may be easing. I'm on full dose co-codomol and ibuprofen for the pain but it still really hurts. I understand antibiotics take time to work. What worries me is...my reading round abscesses suggests antibiotics alone don't solve the problem and I don't want a recurrence of this pain. Any advice welcome.
James
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.
I totally agree.
If there is an abscess you will require the abscess to be drained in addition to a course of antibiotic which is what I would recommend.
I would strongly recommend going back to the dentist to reevaluate your treatment plan.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options when you are done.
Kindest regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.
Wish you all the best.
Please rate me before you leave as that is the only way I am credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards