Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

Is snoring a compulsory symptom of sleep apnea?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, It's Dr. C. Board certified physician. I can help you today. No it's not. Sleep apnea by definition is the stopping of breathing periodically when sleeping. Some people with sleep apnea do not snore and some people who snore do not have sleep apnea. I hope this information was helpful. let me know if I can clarify anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it normal to get sleep apnea some nights but not always?

I have no sleep partner, so my only experience is that sometimes I wake up and take a deep intake of breath and then go back to sleep. I am not aware of any other episodes after this on the same night, but a couple of nights ago I was aware of it happening several times and it scared me a bit. Some nights I am not aware of it happening at all.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's possible for symptoms to be worse some nights and not as bad on others. This may be dependent on sleep position, alcohol intake, sinus troubles and a few other factors. It's best to have a sleep study done to make the diagnosis and then proper treatment.Apnea can lead to chronic feeling of tiredness and is associated with increased risk of heart disease, diabetes and a few other conditions.

Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, that's it, thank you very much. I'll go and see my gp.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I'm glad to help. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks and good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

does sleep apnea have any association with ME/CFS

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Some of the symptoms may overlap.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Also ME/CFE can increase the risk of apnea since some apnea is related to neurological dysfunction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.