Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had bowel surgery on 16th September followed by a reversal

Customer Question

I had bowel surgery on 16th September followed by a reversal ileostomy on 9th December 2015. I had a Dukes A tumour now successfully removed. I had been constipated ever since my ileostomy reversal until, on the surgeons advice, I started on Movitol last Thursday. I take a dose twice a day as instructed on the packet and have since been producing many small stools (and a lot of flatulence) both morning and evening. Today, I also had a loose bowel movement (not quite diarrhea) and did not get to the toilet in time. My question is: Am I now cured of the constipation? do I need to continue with Movitol for two weeks as suggested as the probable time scale suggested on the Movicol packet? Or would it better to continue with the Movitol for the time specified on the packet?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Likely your constipation resolved. Increase dietary fibers gradually. That should prevent constipation. You can stop movitol for now.You can use it as needed if you develop difficulty with bowel movement. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/