Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Progressive muscle weakness Fatigue and lack of Stamina Joint

Customer Question

Progressive muscle weakness
Fatigue and lack of Stamina
Joint and muscular pain
Worsening skeletal deformity
Polio in infancy (10 months) now 67 and above symtoms have got worse over the last 10 years
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,You are likely suffering from post polio syndrome which is a sub-category of the late effects of polio, is defined as a neurologic disorder characterized by increased weakness and/or abnormal muscle fatiguability. The cluster of symptoms includes new weakness, intense fatigue, and pain in muscles and joints resulting in decreased endurance and diminished function.People with the condition are often treated by a team of different healthcare professionals working together including neurologist, physiotherapist, respiratory consultant,and occupational therapist.I would suggest you to get a thorough physical examination by a neurologist first and you need good sessions of physiotherapy to build your stamina. In your daily life take frequent breaks during the day and do gentle exercise, You can use painkiller like tylenol for pain relief. control your weight and eat healthy. I would suggest you to get your thyroid functions tests as well. Calcium supplements would be helpful. But the best treatment would be planned by coordination between your neurologist and physiotherapist depending upon your physical examination.Let me know if you have further questions.Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you have further questions.