Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My daughter has been taking spirolactone a year to

My daughter has been taking spirolactone for over a year to treat acne. It has worked well and she has been well on it. She has naturally low blood pressure as do I. This month her period was a week late and very heavy could this be caused by the medication
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.Spironolactone is an antiandrogen in nature. It can cause heavy period as side effect. Should not continue for long. Normal period should resume from next cycle. In case, blood pressure and period become an issue, then combination birth control pills containing drospirenone, or cyproterone or dienogest and estrogen should resolve the problems while treating acne as well. Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you today.If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/