Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Is it possible stomach to produce a substance that

Is it possible for the stomach to produce a substance that comes up into the throat, and through the nose, which causes bad taste and affects ones appetite?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not talking about catarhh
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query.Yes, it is. This can happen in acid reflux, where the acid produced in the stomach can track up due to an incompetent lower esophageal sphincter. The symptoms of acid reflux are bad taste in the mouth, retrosternal burning, loss of appetite, nausea, post nasal drainage, recurrent cough and sore throat etc.All the symptoms are not present simultaneously.The best course of action is to see a Gastroenterologist and have an upper GI endoscopy done along with 24 hour pH monitoring and manometeric measurement of the esophageal sphincter.The best way to avoid symptoms is to avoid spicy, salted, smoked and barbecued foods especially at dinner time. Have early dinner and do not overfill the stomach at one point in time. Sleep with a head up tilt of about 30 to 45 degrees at night, use a wedge pillow for the purpose. I would also suggest that you start on Prilosec 20 mg twice a day (OTC) 10 to 15 minutes before meals.Avoid hot beverages and alcohol at night.All these measures will decrease the symptoms.Let me know if there are more queries related to this.I only get paid for my work on this website if you rate my answer by using the star system on the top of the screen. The conversation can continue even after you have left a rating for me.Best wishes.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have further questions.