Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Dr Love.I know I asked you previously about the

Hi Dr Love.I know I asked you previously about the plastic tag and that I was concerned it may contain BPA.
I just keep thinking if this tag has been retained and causing inflammation would it be releasing this BPA into her body continuously ?
Sorry I don't want to waste your time on this its just I wasn't sure if this would be a concern .
Many thanks again
Claire .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
plastic tags on clothing usually are made of nylon or cotton.
you don't have to worry about it releasing BPA or causing inflammation
I am a cancer doctor
you don't have to worry about this tag causing cancer for her.
don't let your anxiety get out of control with worry here.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there . I was hoping to reach Dr love as I had spoken to him about this issue recently . Basically I can't be sure if my daughter accidently swallowed one of these tags off of a toy .
Dr love explained that it should pass through uneventfully and if it's not it will be walled of in the body by fibrosis but can sometimes cause chronic inflammation which goes unoticed .
I'm concerned if this tag is retained it will release BPA in her body indefinatly . They are definatly plastic I will send a pic .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I see.
those clothing tags.
those are very hard to see when you cut them off from your clothes.
they would not be retained in the body
they would be pushed out in the stool easily.
it will not stay in the body indefinitely.
the bowels constantly move and she is eating and pooing all the time.
you don't have to worry about it being retained. that is not a possibility.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou . She's not on to solids yet only breast feeding . Will it still pass as easily ? I'm worried as there quite long and sharp on the ends it could embed in her tummy or somewhere .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, it will pass easily.
the bowels are very good at moving anything in one direction.
down and out through the bottom into the diaper.
you don't have to worry
the body has a magnificent way of being able to heal itself and protect itself
yes, it will pass if she ate it.
you don't have to worry
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but I was thinking about her throat and tummy ? Would it still move along there easily ?
If it was the rare case where it got stuck would it release BPA in her body ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, food and breast milk move very easily down the throat and stomach
it would not release BPA in her body.
you don't have to worry about that
you are letting your anxiety get out of control with worry over something you are not sure happened and have no way to see or confirm and in all likelyhood is not going to happen to your baby.
so you don't have to worry
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I feel better for talking it through. Could you just explain to me though how it wouldn't release BPA if it did get walled off in her body . I know it's worst case scenario but I just want to be sure that if it did get stuck it wouldn't release any of these toxins .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
BPA is only released from certain types of plastics.
and the amount of plastics there is so small, the amount of BPA would be negligible.
and BPA exposure doesn't mean she will get cancer.
so you don't have to worry about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok do we know if this type of tag plastic would be made of BPA
And would it still be negligeable even though if it's embedded it would be in her body constantly .
Thanks for being patient with my questions I didn't know who to ask about this .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked my GP who said there's a theoretical risk which really scared me even more .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
usually those tags are made out of nylon as the plastic
nylon can contain BPA
but the amount is so small, you don't have to worry.
you need to stop worrying about this
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou what would happen to the tag if it were stuck would the body not absorb it then ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the tag will not get stuck.
the GI system would move it out of the bowels.
it would wall it off and expel it out of the body.
we don't see things get stuck in the GI system
if things get caught in the walls of the bowel, it causes severe bowel pain.
if she doesn't have pain, then there is nothing stuck.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you . That's where I get confused as Dr Love said foreign bodies nearly always pass but if retained can sometimes cause chronic inflammation or fibrosis which doesn't always show with symptoms . That's how I became worried and thought what if this tag is stuck and there is inflammation and she then has the BPA chemical I'm her body forever . O
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, that is not possible.
she would have pain if the plastic was caught in her bowels.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou .For arguments sake though if worst case it were stuck and had this minor inflammation that was underlying . Would this still not be a risk to her health in regards ***** ***** or anything .
It's amazing isn't it how things pass through so easily ? I was so worried about this tag as it appeared so spikey and didn't bend very easily that's what concerned me if she d got hold of the longer stemmed ones as I can't be sure .
And would the body repeatedly absorb the BPA if it were stuck or is it once it's absorbed it's gone kind of thing ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, it would not be a risk for her health.
the bowels constantly move and push everything down into the anus.
it would not get stuck
you keep being stuck on this
and you can't seem to get past it.
this is a sign of excessive anxiety disorder.
the body will not reabsorb the plastic.
if it gets stuck it would cause pain
it is not stuck
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what about before it reaches the bowel are things constantly moving still then ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
yes, things are constantly moving everywhere in the GI system
from the mouth all the way down to the anus.
the piece of plastic is not stuck
you need to stop worrying about this
please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor you have been really reassuring . I did already out this to another oncologist on here who replied ; "I'm not familiar enough with the chemical concept of BPA to answer that"
This was when I asked if the body would repeatedly absorb the BPA if this tag was retained . But do you think it would be ok ?
I just keep thinking sometimes people get cancer or leukaemia and the cause is unknown so I'm frightened something like this could be an underlying cause .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I am the only active cancer expert doctor here at JustAnswers.
yes, I have told you already she will be ok
this is not how people get leukemia or cancer.
you need to stop worrying about this small possibility of her swallowing this tag.
first of all, you don't know if it happened.
second, if she did swallow it, it would pass through her GI system.
you are letting your anxiety get out of control with worry about this
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I definatly spoke to another oncology doctor on here .
That's where my concern came from as he said that there is a theoretic risk of cancer if a foreign body is retained as the cells can change from chronic inflammation . He sent me these articles I will show you . That's why I'm concerned about the BPA if the chemical concept isn't known as there is a possibility this tag could retain in her body . I will send show you the articles now do you know where I'm coming from .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12490959
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I am the only active practicing cancer doctor on this site.
we have a separate section for oncology questions.
there is ZERO theoretical risks for foreign body retained as you have described causing cancer.
this is a general article about inflammation or irritation.
it doesn't say anything about nylon tags, BPA or something swallowed by a baby.
ZERO theoretical risks for cancer.
you are letting your anxiety get out of control with this worry.
nothing I say seems to be helping stop worrying about this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.23125/pdf
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no mention of Bisphenol in the article.
with your anxiety, these articles will just worsen your anxiety.
these articles will not help you stop to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry doctor you really are helping me its just when the expert sent me these I really panicked . I had to pay £72 for the last one so I thought it must be true .
So if in worst case she has swallowed the tag and it is retained somewhere in her body indefinatly . Is there still no risk even though we don't know the chemical concept of this BPA if it does release itself in her body . This is my overall concern .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
there is no risk for cancer
your questions are really showing you have excessive anxiety problems.
you need to talk to a psychotherapist about these anxiety and worries you have.
you might even need medication therapy to help decrease anxiety and worry.
your mind has set up this scenario that you don't even know is occur or not
and you can't seem to let go of the worry.
this is a sign of anxiety disorder.
are you willing to see a psychotherapist and talk to your doctor about these worries you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am currently having some CBT sessions and seeing my GP for support as I have anxiety post natally .
I discussed with my GP that I had contacted this site and she said to ask the question about the risk of the material of the tag if it does contain BPA as she wasn't sure. I don't know if you are able to explain to me why there is no risk with this if it does release BPA in her body as then I might be able to understand it and let go of the worry .
It's just I know a lot of things are BPA free now due to the concerns around it .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I said before,
if the tag was to get caught in the GI wall lining it would cause pain and symptoms of pain.
your child is not having pain.
so the tag is not caught and will not release BPA over a long period of time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you but I just struggle with that as to why some doctors say different.
The expert I spoke to on here before did say a retained foreign body would not always cause symptoms .
He said it may cause a small area of underlying chronic inflammation but this would not cause problems , so they would not look for a foreign body that is not causing symptoms. I asked if that is a concern in regards ***** ***** and thy said there is no clinical evidence or case reports of a foreign body causing cancer but there is a theoretic risk .
So that's why I was thinking in that case should I be worried that if it is stuck somewhere and left without symptoms would it expel BPA ?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I disagree with this other expert.
this other expert also did know of your psychological issues and treatment with cognitive behavioral therapy.
I am a cancer doctor who treats cancer patients.
I do not agree with this "theoretical risk"
it would not be stuck somewhere without symptoms.
this is your anxiety disorder making up these scenarios making you worried and not allowing you to move on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did I interpret this wrong then as this was his response to me see . Maybe I am reading it wrong ...."But that does not mean that it is a problem. If there is a foreign object that get embedded in the body and is causing minor inflammation or fibrosis, but is not causing other problems, we will usually not know that they are there, but if they are accidentally discovered, we will leave them alone."
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I have helped you before regarding your severe anxiety about chemicals on sponges possibly entering your baby's vagina and causing cancer.
now your anxiety disorder has moved on to another unlikely and unproven scenario which is a manifestation of your anxiety disorder.
I disagree with this other doctor
we would know if something was imbedded in the wall of the bowels
it would cause pain like diverticulosis causes pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's so difficult though when you have experts telling you differences of opinions .
That is what is making me anxious with this scenario .
Taking symptoms out of the equasion as that is what seems to of be in question here . Is there still no risk if it did get imbedded without symptoms and stayed there.
Yes I did contact you before and you were a great help . I realise Im anxious about things and that's why I'm getting the help , I'm a first time mum and and find it hard not to worry in regards ***** ***** daughter .
If I remember rightly the expert said there would be symptoms if the object got stuck in the throat but not in the gut . So I just don't know what to think really .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
with severe anxiety disorder in your mind, you are not a good judge of risk.
do you ride in a car or taxi? there are risks in doing that, but you still do that
do you cross the street in the city? there are risks with doing that, but you accept that.
yes, there would be pain and symptoms if something is stuck in the wall of the gut or anywhere in the GI system.
you don't have to worry about this tag
most likely your child didn't even ingest it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think maybe the other doctor was meaning then that if it was imbedded there would be symptoms . But if it wasn't imbedded but caused underlying fibrosis and inflammation which was minor then that's when there isn't always symptoms ? I
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell you what the other doctor was meaning.
all I can say is that if that small piece of plastic got caught in the bowel wall, it would cause symptoms
and that your anxiety disorder is making up scenarios which you can not control to make you worried.
and that continuing to worry about this is not healthy for you
and does not do your baby any good.
and takes time away from you and your baby's mommy time.
you need to go back to giving your child more attention
and you need to stop worrying about this
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm really trying all those things and making sure my anxiety doesnt affect her .
Can I just ask you finally doctor like I said earlier in worst case scenario if this object was stuck would it release BPA indefinatly or is it like you say a negligeable amount even though the chemical component isn't known ?
And how likely is it to pass through her system ?
I really hope it has . Some of them were quite long I don't know if that makes a difference if it was a long one she got hold of .
I won't ask any further questions after this I promise you .
I thank you for your time .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
it is 100% likely to pass right through her system.
I am a cancer doctor
in all of the cancer articles in the world, there has never been a case of cancer reported from a child who ingested a small piece of plastic which stuck in her bowels and caused cancer eventually.
this has never been reported. this has never happened.
you are worrying about something which has never happened before
children all around the world are all eating things which they are not suppose to eat.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did think that this must be a common occurrence . And it makes me feel better to know it will pass through easily even if it is sharp and pokey .
And what did you think about the BPA thing would it continue releasing this into her body if it was stuck and not walled off .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
I am not worried about the BPA
the body has a wonderful way to be able to heal from toxic exposure.
you don't have to worry about this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would that even be in the worse case though if it is retained indefinatly .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you don't need to be worried about the worst case
this only worsens your anxiety
you need to stop worrying and spend more time with your baby.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know and I really am trying to do that but that's been the main thing I've wanted to know is that if it did get imbedded and retained causing mild inflammation like the other doctor said and is left there without symptoms I just want to know if the level of BPA would be harmful in this case .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
no, the BPA would not be harmful in this case.
no cases of cancer have ever been reported to be caused like this
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou. Is that because the level would be too low or because once it's stuck it won't release the BPA ? Sorry I'm just trying to understand it .
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
the BPA levels would be so low, it would not be worrisome
this has never caused a cancer before.
so you don't have to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou so much and like you say that's if it has got stuck which is unlikely and she may not of even swallowed it in the first place so I've got to try and put it out of my mind . I just really hope research doesn't change in years to come to suddenly say this is a cancer risk just incase this scenario has happened ,
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you were worried about research changing about household chemicals causing cervical cancer from bathing your baby with a sponge which could have come into contact with chemicals.
your anxiety is severe
you need to try and put it out of your mind
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know and I am trying my very best to deal with it. For my babies sake and my own .
Thankyou for all your help .