Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am 68 and have progressive multiple sclerosis. Because of

I am 68 and have progressive multiple sclerosis. Because of my age and the potential to become so ill that I could become unable to make my health care directives known (e.g., DNR), I would like to have a letter in my medical record and with my solicitor specifically stating that I am cognitively capable of making decisions about my health and that I do not suffer from a depression that could impact my health care decisions (at the time of the assessment) I do not know who to go to to get such an assessment and letter. Can you advise please. I would need an MD psychiatrist (or perhaps a neurologist) ho was located in my area (Highcliffe, Christchurch, Dorset), as I have some difficulty getting around. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to add that I am a PhD level psychologist myself, and was licensed to practice in the USA (CT) since 1972. So with self-diagnosis I know I am not clinically depressed and that I am of sound mind despite my MS which i have had for 44 years. Hope this helps guide the search.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. There are a couple of options in this situation. In most cases, the doctor that can best assess whether you are adversely affected by the multiple sclerosis is the doctor that has been providing ongoing treatment for the multiple sclerosis, particularly if that doctor has been providing care for years. This doctor can better say that there is no neurologic impact on cognitive function or any mental health effects, so that the decisions about your health care are valid. This would usually be true regardless of the specialty of the doctor that has been providing ongoing care. However, if this is not an option, because you have moved or that doctor has retired or is otherwise no longer available, then getting an assessment and letter from a Psychiatrist would be appropriate. I am looked for Psychiatrists near Highcliffe, and the nearest that I can find are associated with Nuffield Health Bournemouth Hospital, including Adrian Yonace and Andreas Schenk, telephone number of *********** So, the first and easiest option would be a letter from your regular doctor that has been providing ongoing care for the multiple sclerosis. If that is not an option, then seeing one of the Psychiatrists noted above would be another option. If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately, the first option is not possible as I have not been in the UK long (was treated in USA). I am familiar with Nuffield and it is a taxi ride away, so that is very helpful.