Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I have just had a swab taken boil on my chest and it

Customer Question

I have just had a swab taken for a boil on my chest and it has come back as PROTEUS MIRABILIS. I am concerned as this is not common. I have been battling giardia this year too and have noticed i have had more spots/boils than usual. In the summer i had a big boil in my groin which was lanced (we did not swab it). Does any doctor have a view on proteus on the chest and whether this is encountered? I am told proteus is usually a UTI related issue but i have had no pain on urinating at all. I am seeing an infectious diseases doctor and an immunologist soon but am very anxious about what is going on here!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any views on this?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other medical issues?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hiya? such as? i am being reviewed to see if i may have CVID as giardia is a common sympton of an igg subclass deficiency which has been spotted though not conclusively.
Are we sure this wasn't just a skin contaminant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could you explain? do you mean a lab error? yes, or could be auto-infection
i just met the lead infectious diseases doctor today in london who thinks odd but could just be from my touching something and then my chest? ie nothing signficant beyond just being a bit odd.
I agree with thatskin contaminant from touching
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would like to send you some pictures of how it was and how it is now.
1. i took augmentin 325mg for a week
2. the boil has definitely got smaller but i foolishly applied some oregano oil to the skin which has caused redness/peeling. not a big issue but frustrating and my error.
3. however, more importantly there is still a small lump at the centre of the chest which when i squeeze it, emits pus. it is no bigger than a small circle but i know i have this exact spot for a while and am wondering if it is a deeply infected bit of skin or a cyst possibly? i mentioned to my doctor that this area has always leaked a small bit of pus when squeezed and has been infected before.thoughts?
let skin settle for a few days?Pixes attached are the original boil and what it looks like today. I have applied some sudocrem to it tonight.
The skin is just peeling on its own.I don't think the oil has anything to do with it.there is still a small pocket of infectionI would keep monitoring for now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank god you talk sense :)
what to do with the small pocket of infection?
1 if it gets worse?
2 if it doesnt and just settles but still has a small lump/bit of pus? not the end of the world?
3. anything i can do to keep it clean and reduce inflammation?
will send you a fresh pix in the am so you can see what it looks like (currently covered in sudacrem!)
1)if it gets worse it will need to opened and lanced.at that time you could get deep cultures2)correct. not the end3)Nothing needed at this time. Just wash it with soap and water
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: GP in the United States
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. when you say deep culture what do you mean? sorry?
2. is squeezing the infected bit bad even though the pus emanates so easily?
3. i assume oral antibiotics not going to do much at this point.
1)like from the inside of the pus pocket if it needs opened up2)no, that is good actually3)correct, they won't penetrate the abscess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - thats good news re squeezing. i just did it tonight after a hot bath and some pus just squeezed out pretty easily.obvious question but what was the point of taking augmentin ?! i assume it was just kick star the healing process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, final question for tonight
if it really is a weak spot and is a place where i get boils which take ages to heal..what options?(ps no sun in london is probably also an issue as this would dry out in no time in the sun!!)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thoughts?
There could be an option in removing glands in that area to avoid another one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks. let me send you a pix 2moro with an update. cheers ***** *****
okay sounds good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI DOC - i am attaching a pix from today (2 pixes in fact)
as i said all i am concerned about is this small lump in the centre
the surrounding skin is just red but settling and peeling
i just need someone to look at that one little area
as i have said
a)it is where i have had boils/spots before - i am sure of it
b) it is a locus where i've had pus/stinky smell emanate from before even when it has not been very irritated
c)it almost feels like a sort of spot when you run your finger over it. not too sore but definitely there.questions
leave it; let it settle down for a week and then review? OR, drain it / squeeze it and see what happens?second, why is this small area always a bit pussy - is this common? it is like a deep seated spot on the skin. sort of a deep infection right in the middle of my hairy (very) chest!
can you take a pic from farther away or hold a penny up to it so I can see how big it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here you go! i had only a 5pence piece! should suffice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thoughts? it is smaller than a 5p for sure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello sir?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
?
I'm here. So this is an infected sebaceous cyst.That stinky smell is rancid oil.these are commonwhen this heals you need the whole cyst removed and it won't get infected anymore
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ha! Interesting. Can you see by looking at it? Just need to relate your insight to my GP. And second, do you have any more insight into the proteus or you think a red herring?
I know because of the smellThis white smelly stuff is classic sebaceous cystProteus is a red herring I believe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ah ok. that's useful knowledge. thank you. ps are you a dermatologist? and second, would you just let it heal for a week now and not put creams or touch?
I'm an internist. We treat all conditions. I treat a lot of skin stuff in my practiceI would let it heal for now. contact me tomorrow and let me see how it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks doc. v kind of you. i will do so.
welcome :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor
here is pix today
a)redness around skin is decreasing - i have just been keeping it clean
b)the central spot so to speak still remains - it is not painful to touch. just a lump. i am not squeezing it but it does sort of look like there is a small amount of "liquid" when you push it down? does that make sense?
makes sense. keep doing what you are doing. let's see how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - at least it is not getting worse :)
what's your hunch re the spot in the middle?
that is the cyst. The infected cyst.The mother load of bacteria lives there. Your body will take care of it though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it worth my doctor draining it again?
not quite yet. lets see how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okey dokes
:)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi doc
attaching two pixes from today
a)i went back to the doctor who was more interested in the scab in the pix and wondered if impetigo.
b)i have been applying mupicrin cream and it has been working v well
c)he has discussed whether i should consider having the site cut out by a plastics guyquestions
a)does this scab look like impetigo?
b)is this taking longer than usual to heal or can boils take 2-3 weeks?
c)he has given me flucoxcillin in case the swab he took yesterday comes back with staph. i am loathe to take more antibiotics. thoughts?
would you mind opening a new one?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, happy to if you let me know how?
Just open a new question. In the opening say "Dr. Phil only please"