Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr Love . Are you available question. Many thanks

Hi Dr Love .
Are you available for a question.
Many thanks .
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . It's just I had my review today with our family GP following my concern when I thought my child could of possibly swallowed the tag as discussed .
My GP said that her abdomen appears fine but she said to look out for painful symptoms incase the tag was to retain in the bowel wall and she discussed something called diverticulosis with me ?
What is this may I ask ? She didn't explain it really but said these are the type of symptoms to look out for although it's unlikely the tag will be retained as you have told me before.
Diverticuli are small pouches in the intestines. They are very common in the elderly, but there also are some that can be present at birth. Your doctor may have been referencing that this may be a place in which the tag may get stuck, but the fact remains that these foreign bodies will almost always pass through the system without getting stuck anywhere. It is worth noting that it was once thought that diverticulit could retain a variety of things and people with this condition were advised to avoid nuts or foods with seeds, etc. However, further studies show that this is not a problem and the dietary restrictions are no longer recommended.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great thank you . Yes she was really thorough and said that she would be shocked if the tag hadn't passed and to look out for symptoms and this is when she told me about this condition as she said I will know if it had got stuck to the bowel wall as symptoms are similar?
I know we discussed symptoms initially in regards ***** ***** passing in the gut and if it did embed itself it wouldn't show would it?
She did have a good feel if her tummy and listened to her lungs and all was well thank goodness.
If it embeds itself and causes any obstruction or other problems, it would cause symptoms, but if it embeds itself and does not cause any problems, it also may not cause symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I thought that was the case if it got stuck there may not be signs . May I ask doctor what type of things you see get stuck in the GI tract ? I'm hoping this will likely of passed if swallowed as you say .
The doctor did ask me about what material I thought it was which I think it was plastic . I did ask if there was any concern around it containing BPA if it were stuck as I was concerned it could release this chemical indefinitely into her body but she didn't really know and just said she wasn't aware of the chemical concept of BPA .
I just remember doctor that article about foreign bodies said the risk was down to location and material of the foreign body .
I wondered what your opinion would be on this as my GP really wasn't sure .
Essentially nothing gets stuck in the GI tract once it is swallowed. If the object can be swallowed into the stomach, then it will typically pass through the GI tract.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you and I think you said before if it did get stuck anywhere before reaching the stomach is this when I would definitely know with symptoms ?
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you may I ask again doctor what your view is on my BPA concern in regards ***** ***** I said above ?
That is a separate question, and you priced this question to only be a short interaction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see ok do I request you again then for that to be answered
Yes, and also remember to provide a positive rating for this question.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do