Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

This was my other question Dr Love . Many thanks . The

Customer Question

This was my other question Dr Love .
Many thanks .
The doctor did ask me about what material I thought it was which I think it was plastic . I did ask if there was any concern around it containing BPA if it were stuck as I was concerned it could release this chemical indefinitely into her body but she didn't really know and just said she wasn't aware of the chemical concept of BPA .
I just remember doctor that article about foreign bodies said the risk was down to location and material of the foreign body .
I wondered what your opinion would be on this as my GP really wasn't sure .
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
The issue about BPA is complex and extends beyond just the issue of this tag, and it is necessary to understand the larger issue to understand why the tag is not an issue. In reality, the amount of BPA in any single product is probably not sufficient to create any cancer risk. The problem with BPA is that it is something to which exposure is occurring for most people on a daily basis. There have been animal studies that raise concern about the possible cancer effect of BPA. In animal studies, relatively high amounts of chemicals are used, so animal studies do not consistently predict risk in humans, but a risk in animal studies does justify further studies to be done in humans. After animal studies raised concern about the possible cancer effect of BPA, it was then learned that studies in humans would be basically impossible to do because of the relative ubiquity of BPA. If they test the urine of randomly selected people, evidence of recent exposure to BPA is present in most people on most days. So, it becomes virtually impossible to do a human study to determine the risk of BPA exposure. So, there may be a risk in humans, but we do not really know. Within this context, though, the amount of BPA in this small tag would be trivial compared to the ongoing exposure that is occurring for everyone that lives in our modern society, even if the entirety of the BPA could be leached out of the tag as it passes through the body or the extremely rare cases in which it can become embedded. So, it is reasonable to be concerned about BPA in general, and it is reasonable to try to limit ongoing exposures by trying to avoid plastics or select desirable plastics, to the extent that it is possible. See http://www.babygreenthumb.com/p-122-safe-plastic-numbers-guide.aspx. However, there is no reason to be concerned about any risk from this tag. If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . Some of the tags were longer say a few centimetres as in the picture that I sent to you initially . Do you think this would still be a negligeable amount and in the rare case that it did become embedded what would happen to that chemical ? Would it continually release the BPA in the body or would this not happen if it was walled off as such .
Even if the entire tag had been swallowed, it would be a negligible amount. It does not matter whether it could release the BPAif it is walled off because the total amount in the tag is negligible. Whether the amount is released all at once or gradually, the total amount would still be negligible. The tag cannot make more if it is in the gut for a longer period of time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . I was thinking If it was there indefinitly would it matter that it would be repeatedly releasing the chemical . The same amount constantly I mean
No, because it cannot exceed the total amount that is in the piece when it is swallowed, and this amount is trivial compared to ongoing exposure in our modern society.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so it hopefully wouldn't affect her cells to make them mutate over time or anything like that if it was retained
Correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And like you say doctor children have been swallowing things that they shouldn't since forever and surely back then things contained BPA .
So when that artical said about location and material of foreign body . Would that not apply to this then.
Yes, plastic foreign bodies in the past likely had higher amounts of BPA. The article would not apply in this situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks again . And hopefully like we've discussed would thoughts around this concept of BPA being a risk change in the future . There not likely to turn around and say even the tiniest amounts are harmful ? Again just thinking of the scenario of this plastic being retained from now until she is an adult .
There are many aspects of ongoing risk that may change in the future, including some people that are advocating for eliminating plastics and limiting exposure to certain types of plastics based on the evidence that already exists, but this is extremely difficult in our modern society. However, the fact that this is a negligible amount and consequently not a reason for concern will not change in the future.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks and is it still classed as a negligeable amount even though in daily life she may not be exposed to BPA everyday whereas in this situation if it is retained its there constantly in her body.
It is a negligible amount using any permutation that you want to state, unless you eliminated plastic from your life before you got pregnant and there is no plastics in her life for the duration of her life. That is virtually impossible to accomplish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so basically am I right to think it doesnt matter that it's there constantly as its such a trace amount .
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry doctor I'm just really hoping if it's stuck it's not going to raise her risk of cancer in anyway by making her cells change or anything like that. That's not likely is it from what you have said
Correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor and would that include leukemias too. As that's what I had read online was that they don't know the cause of leukaemia always . I worry that this again could be a trigger if it were to affect her blood or anything
It would include all cancers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok is that even when they don't know the causes as such of some such as leukaemia
It is still a negligible amount. Even if it is found that BPA is a risk for leukemias, the amount in the tag is a negligible amount compared to ongoing exposure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks so taking in to account the possibility of the retained tag and daily exposure also . That won't be enough to highten risk with the two combined ?
Also do you remember the other day I explained my baby had played with these toys a handful amount of times so I was worried there could be a risk she had swallowed more than one . If I had missed any more tags that I was unaware of Would that highten any risk . Or would it still be negligeable as there so tiny even if there were more tags swallowed .
You are now asking different permutations of the same question, and we are past two hours into this discussion. Stop worrying about these tags. If you want to eliminate plastics from your life, that would be better than worrying about these tags, although a separate source to drive you crazy, but quit worrying about these tags.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you doctor . are you able to just answer the last question though and then just let me summarise if what I'm thinking is correct with this scenario if I may .
Each tag would have a negligible amount, so there is no reason for worry even if multiple tags have been swallowed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . Finally doctor I just wanted to summarise what I'm thinking from all of this to see if I've got it straight in my mind .
So if my baby had swallowed a tag is it fair to say that medically we do not see them get stuck in the GI tract But if it got stuck whilst being swallowed or inhaled ie back of the throat/nose there would have been noticeable ongoing symptoms throughout the days following the possible incident for me to recognise and my concern around BPA in the body is negligeable and will not cause affect to cells or her body in anyway
Is this all accurate doctor .
Yes, all of this is accurate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much . All I was wondering though doctor is that if things aren't seen to possibly get stuck in the GI tract how are foreign bodies found by accident when screening tests are done ect? I remember you saying if they are found but not causing problems they will be left alone . Is this foreign bodies in other forms do you mean ie not swallowed or something ?
You need to provide a positive rating for the answers to the current question before we rehash our prior discussions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do that now
The comment was accurate for foreign bodies by any method including the extremely rare cases in which a swallowed foreign body is retained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so are they not retained in the GI tract is what I mean if this is seen not to be possible . Or is it objects that don't pass as easy.
As I said, anything that is able to be swallowed into the stomach will virtually always pass through the GI tract. Objects that are difficult to pass cause problems getting into the stomach.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry doctor for delay . Ok in regards ***** ***** above and if there's problems getting into the tummy is that when there would be continued symptoms then until the object is removed . I was just trying to understand last night when you say foreign bodies are accidently found in some cases and left alone. Is this when they have been retained in the GI tract or is it other circumstances if this is not seen medically .
I answered this above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I was just trying to understand if it is not possible for these things to get stuck in the GI tract how there are these cases where things are found in screening tests ect .
Also I was thinking if the tag was stuck but not walled off causing inflammation is this still ok in regards ***** ***** BPA being negligeable.
I have addressed this above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I was thinking about it being ongoing exposure if it was nt walled off but again is that ok still due to it being such low level ?
Sorry doctor I guess my fear is that I keep thinking what if this thing hasn't passed it just still scares me I wish I could know that it definitely will of passed that's all .
What did I tell you above?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know you have really re assured me but I am just unclear as to whethet i can rest assured that it definitely will of passed If swallowed . That's why I was asking about types of foreign bodies that have been found by accident to be retained . To try to understand what types tend to retain and not pass if that makes sense ,
I have already addressed that, but you want to continue to worry anyway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So can I feel safe to think it will of definitely passed are you saying if it reached the tummy without symptoms . Do the rare cases of something like this being retained not exist .
I have already answered this. There is no value in typing answers again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know you did doctor but I just didn't know if when you spoke about rare case of it being retained you mean in the throat when swallowed Or when it's in the GI tract ?
I just wasnt sure about this reply you sent in regards ***** ***** comment was accurate ?
"The comment was accurate for foreign bodies by any method including the extremely rare cases in which a swallowed foreign body is retained."
You did not ask me which comment was accurate. Read the interaction again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I know I mean I'm not sure what comment you were meaning was accurate ?
The bit about them being found upon screening were you referring too ? Or my comment before when I was asking if what I said was accurate .
The one that you asked about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry I'm confused I'm not sure which one you mean now can you not clarify for me .
What did you ask me when I made this statement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you were replying to this ....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was my question that I didn't understand see . How are they found if they always pass .
Correct. To which I replied - The comment was accurate for foreign bodies by any method including the extremely rare cases in which a swallowed foreign body is retained.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I guess what I was wanting clarity on earlier is can I feel confident in thinking this will of definitely passed. As I know you have said there are rare cases of things being retained but Is that with objects that are say more difficult . This is the only bit I wanted to feel clearer on . As I know you've said they virtually always pass but I just worry about how if they are found accidently upon screening ect .
You can never know that it will definitely pass, which is what it means to say that there are extremely rare cases in which a foreign body does not pass. However, you are more likely to kill your daughter by taking her in a car to the doctor, so this is nothing to worry about.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's a horrible thought but I understand the concept .
Is there a specific reason why they don't pass in these rare cases . My GP said something about babies having a fast GI Tract Transit which is why she'd be astonished if it didn't pass I think .
No.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I guess sometimes then they must just get stuck . I was just worried with her being under 6 months that everything inside like her GI tract maybe smaller so it could be harder to pass.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you . One last thing I was thinking about doctor in regards ***** ***** BPA is if there wasn't exposure everyday in the modern world . Would this small amount still be classed as trace amount .
That is not a question based on reality, so cannot be answered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you .
You are welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor I forgot last night to ask you about neoplastic change as this is something Dr Ravoof had mentioned in previous conversation . Is this anything new to be worried about or risk of or is it covered by all we have discussed . Sorry to ask .
Any concern with neoplastic change is the same as the concern with cancer growth, so is included in the discussion that we have had. Strictly speaking, neoplasms include benign and cancerous growths, but the only concern is with the cancerous growths.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh yes that makes sense as it was when we were talking about minor inflammation or fibrosis and he said if it is not stressful to the cells it may not result in a neoplastic change .
But hopefully as discussed it's not relevant to my concern .
Correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you doctor . I'm sorry for my endless questions . My anxiety has been really bad about this and I'm getting help . I seem to get stuck on the thought of what if this tag is somewhere stuck in her body and due to inflammation or BPA it changes her cells to cancer at any moment over the years. That's what I struggle with and you have been really reassuring and patient with me . I know I've asked a thousand times but is there any chance of this happening due to this.
I have already answered this question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I safely think the answer is definitely no then .
Read the previous answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That you've already answered it ? Ok so I think the answer you mean is no as im thinking the body wouldn't work in that way . But just wanted to make sure I was right in thinking this .
I will not re-type the answer using hundreds of different wording. Read what we discussed before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will do doctor sorry .
Have I checked with you before doctor in regards ***** ***** risk of this object (if stuck ) causing fibrosis or inflammation? Is it likely to cause that or does the body wall it off to stop this occurring .
Yes, this was also discussed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've looked through and seen we discussed both but I didn't ask if the foreign body gets walled off for sure to stop the inflammation and fibrosis ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's only because I remember Dr Ravoof saying chronic inflammation is a developing field of knowledge and I worry if she has this now and it continues could the knowledge change and this type of inflammation become a cancer risk
We addressed this in our prior discussion.
If you want to discuss this again, then it would need to be posted as a new question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok doctor sorry .
I remember you telling me this which was re assuring :
No one can predict the future, but the absence of any identified risk currently certainly speaks against that there will ever be an identified risk.
But I just wondered if that would be speaking in regards ***** ***** chronic inflammation aswell .
We already addressed this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so ois that as per the answer I showed you above .
If you are referring to what we have discussed, it is in our previous discussion. If you are referring to a new or different situation, then it would need to be posted as a new question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it was what we had already discussed really . I was just thinking if the chemical concept of BPA isn't known does it affect the information that you gave me at the beginning of this conversation.
I addressed this above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so the information would still be the same even if the chemical concept isn't known .
I addressed this above.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see thank you .
You are welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor love .
My I ask you something . It's just when I saw my doctor she said it might be an idea to find out what exactly the tags were made of . Today I have heard back from the toy company explaining the material I didn't know if I can run this past you as I've not heard of it before .
Many thanks .
This is a separate question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok may I post another question to you if I request you again .
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Welcome.