Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My mum has what is believed to be a large cancerous tumour

My mum has what is believed to be a large cancerous tumour on her bladder. The specialist who made the diagnosis informed her that she was to be operated on as a matter of urgency. As such, she was given an appointment for the 24th of December. Unfortunately she never got the message regarding this appointment as it was left on her house phone rather than her mobile. Now she is on a waiting list as there are no beds available. She has had a CT scan but we have been told that it can take up to 4 weeks to get the results from that. Please can you give me some advice regarding this situation? Do we have any other options here?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for the query,You can take your mom to ER in case she is suffering from severe symptoms or can talk to your GP that operation was scheduled earlier on urgent basis so prolonging this can be harmful, they can review the Ct scans without report even so that if the doctor thinks she need to be operated urgently he can expedite the process.Let me know if you have further questions,Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.Wish you good health.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your reply. Everyone knows her case is urgent, however there just aren't the bed spaces to accommodate her just now. When I tried to find a private hospital they said that it would take two to four weeks for admittance. She isn't having pains worthy of ER but I'm worried about the development of the cancer while we wait. The CT scan hasn't been released yet so we don't know the extent of it. I guess we don't really have any option other than to wait?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.Yes, waiting is an option here, however, one thing that can justify an urgent admission is results of the CT scan. Normally, it should not take more than 5 days to report a CT scan in the busiest of centers. I would suggest that you make a claim to the center in which she had the CT scan done to report it on an urgent basis or carry the scans/films to your Urologist who advised the CT scan to comment on it.As long as there are no symptoms of the cancer, an ER admission will not be justified. So, while you wait, working towards getting the scans reported early will be the best course of action.I only get paid for my work on the website if you leave a rating by using the star system on the top of your screen.Best wishes.