Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have IBS and DIVERTICLAR - very occasionally painful diverticulitis......

I have IBS and DIVERTICLAR - very occasionally painful diverticulitis...... I'm prescribed Mebeverine 20 mins before each meal, but, being forgetful and slightly middle-aged, [ 79 actually ].... I regularly forget to take before meals.
There is a one a day product by a supplement Company called Woods Health- it's called Bowel Care Plus and contains the following; .....Physilium Husks, [a fibre complex carbohydrate]........Bifidus Culture and .....Aloe Vera.
I expect you cannot professionally recommend this product, but is there any way you could indicate whether taking this one a day tab would be as effective for my conditions, and a lot easier to remember? Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
bowel care plus with physillium husk fiber sounds similar to other fiber supplements like Metamucil or benafiber.
Mebeverine is a drug whose major role is in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and the associated abdominal cramping
if you have diverticular disease, you do need to make sure you get in enough fiber daily to help bulk up your stool to prevent small hard bits of constipated stool which can lodge in your bowel wall and cause diverticulosis pain.
you can take both medications daily and you should ask your doctor about taking both daily.
are you having problems with constipation and small hard bits of stool? are you getting in enough fiber daily?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiTo answer your question, you actually asked about the product, not your medications, so I, Dr. Thomas, will answer.I would avoid the product , the aloe vera in it can actually cause more irritation, and interfere with your therapy.I am a double board certified US doctor.Please find me in medical by request any day of the week for accurate and prompt answers.Please click a positive rating.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am the first doctor to help you
with a history of diverticulosis, you do need to take extra fiber to help soften your stool and to bulk up your stool and avoid small hard constipation stool
you can use any sort of fiber supplement with psyllium fiber husks in it like metamucil to help bulk up your stool if you are not taking enough fiber.
you can take both this fiber supplement and your Mebeverine which is used for irritable bowel syndrome.
you can use a pill box daily to help you remember to take your pills
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks to both Docs - altho I feel the advice was a little conflicting re "Aloe vera". so will rephrase the question to Dr David only..........Pill boxes do not help my memory - actually I need a brain transplant! Sooo ....instead of taking [ or forgetting ! ] Mebeverine 3 x a day, could I use it only when a painful cramps occur, which is only very occasionally at present ?....... I have no painful hard stools, my stools are soft and healthy and I eat a balanced diet with plenty of fibre.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Note for your Admin Dept Do you no longer send an e-mail alert when Doc has responded- would be handy please.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
the recommended adult dosage is one mebeverine hydrochloride 135mg tablet three times daily, preferably 20 minutes before meals
you can try taking it only when you have painful cramps, but the purpose of the mebeverine is to help prevent painful bowel IBS cramps.
that is good you have a soft healthy stools and you eat a good diet.
eating more fiber and bulking up stool and avoiding constipation is the best way to prevent pain from diverticulosis.
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician