Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I ve just been to check on my ears as I thought I had an

Customer Question

Hi I ve just been to check on my ears as I thought I had an infection. They've been full ever since I had my ears syringed 2 months ago. It's affected my mood and I'm suffering from bad headaches p as well as dizziness. When I went to the ent he could find no infection. He s now referred me to a dentist cause he thinks I've got TMJ. I wpuld like to have a proper diagnosis by a TMJ specialist to see what's causing the problem. Would you recommend doing this straight away and can you recommend a TMJ specialist in Northwest England.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I would see your dentist first who have usually the most experience with inflammation of the TMJ joint
the dentist can feel your TMJ joint and see if there is inflammation of your jaw joint and if there is crepitus there
ENT doctors are the other doctors who would be expert at TMJ joint inflammation
your dentist can also make custom bite guards for you jaw and teeth that you can wear at night time. many people grind their teeth and night time and this puts more pressure and inflammation on their TMJ joint
this bite guard at night time can decrease this pressure and decrease TMJ inflammation.
or NSAID anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium can help decrease inflammation in your TMJ joint as well.
when was the last time you saw your dentist?
do you know if you grind your teeth at night time? your dentist can often look at your teeth can tell if you if you grind your teeth or clench your jaw at night time when you sleep.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HII would do this immediately, as you already have the recommendation from ENT.I would contact this society for a list of specialists.http://www.jawache.com/ this is a different expert...I am a double board certified doctor.I can help you with novel treatments as well.Find Dr. Thomas in medical any time.Please click a positive rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your advice. I've not seen a dentist for a few years but have managed to get an urgent appointment in the at the end of January. Just feel a very worried as the ear feels really full. Really hope the dentist can help and I ll definitely look into a specialist too
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
www.jawache.com is a good resource.
it is the British Society for the Study of Cranio-Mandibular Disorders which members are mainly Dentists and Orthodontists (65%)
so your dentist could be part of this organization.
do see your dentist bout your TMJ and jaw tissues for an examination.
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
HiThe site i gave you is those who have the training.I am the expert who told you to go to the specialist, not just a dentist.This will save time.Please click a positive.See my last answer.Dr. thomas
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
if you haven't seen a dentist recently, I would start with seeing your dentist
they can do simple xrays and examine your teeth which can tell a lot
and see if you are grinding your teeth at night time
and you can get started with a custom bite guard at night time which can help
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
I am glad you have gotten an urgent appointment to see your dentist at the end of January.
in the mean time, work on not clenching your jaw and avoid grinding your teeth
you can try over the counter anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium with food in your stomach to help decrease inflammation in the jaw
and see if that helps
warm compresses alternating with ice and cold compresses can help as well
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just feeling a bit anxious as I'm hoping I won't loose my hearing permanently. Definitely going to see the dentist first. I'm also a singer and musician. Hope it won't affect my career. Thanks for all your help with this
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome
thanks for the positive feedback
don't be anxious
you won't loose your hearing over this
I bet your dentist will be able to help you and see if you have TMJ joint inflammation in your jaw joint.
thanks for using JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all your help and reassurance ūüėä
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
you are welcome
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com